Possible to Use Numbing Cream During Laser Tattoo Removal?

I have this tattoo on my nape, I’m so desperate to remove it… does anyone know a numbing cream to use during tattoo removal? I want to have a laser tattoo removal but I heard it hurts to much… I need a numbing cream to ease the pain.. I hope you can suggest one! Thank you so much…:D

Yes, but only partial pain relief is possible

+1
Absolutely, this is what we normally do for painful areas such as the ankles and ribs. Numbing cream can diminish pain by 30-40%, but giving local injections on top of creams is probably the best method. This combined with skin cooling with a Zimmer is best. 

We normally mix Benzocaine 20%, Lido 6 and tetracaine 4, for small areas, then use lido plain injections. 

Hope that helps

Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Does Tattoo Removal Hurt?http://youtu.be/Ay4YJSfxOwU

+1
The vast majority of our patients are treated for laser tattoo removal with the use of our Zimmer Chiller skin cooling device.  The Zimmer Chiller cools the skin before and during the tattoo removal process and allows for a quick and nearly pain free tattoo removal experience.  In the rare instance when a patient experiences discomfort, I may add a topical anesthetic or use injectable anesthetic such as lidocaine, but this is the exception rather than the rule.
Find an experienced professional for your tattoo removal and you will find that this can be a pleasant experience with excellent cosmetic results.
Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbing cream during laser tattoo removal

+1

Give it a try but it is not going to give COMPLETE anesthesia. Only local liocaine injections can afford complete anesthesia in the area injected.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Numbing cream should be applied prior to tattoo laser

+1

Numbing cream definitely should be applied prior to tattoo laser treatment, but it may not be enough for pain management. If this is the case, as your board-certified dermatologist to inject lidocaine (numbing solution) prior to tattoo laser treatment. Ice compress for 24 hours afterwards also would be advisable to minimize blistering.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Topical numbing cream prior to tattoo removal

+1

Topical numbing cream are frequently applied prior to tattoo removal with laser as it can be quite a painful procedure. You can get over the counter numbing creams but it Is best to contact the doctor's office where you will be having the procedure done as they may have prescription strength or even compounded creams that are more effective.

The office can also advise you as to when to apply it because depending on this and the size of the tattoo determines how much Is absorbed, which can be toxic after a certain point.

Ritu Saini, MD

Yes, numbing cream can be used for tattoo removal

+1

Many clinics will offer numbing cream at your visit, and some may send patients home with a small tube of numbing cream after each treatment. You can apply it at home prior to your next visit. 

Kean B. Lawlor, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Numbing cream for laser tattoo removal

+1

Unfortunately, numbing creams (topical anesthetics) don't work very well for laser tattoo removal treatments. This is because the anesthetic drug must be absorbed through the skin and usually penetrates only a short distance. Tattoo ink particles are located in the dermis, mostly at levels deeper than the anesthetic can penetrate.

Small tattoos can be totally anesthetized with injected local anesthetic (e.g. lidocaine), so that the laser treatment is painless.

Robert C. Langdon, MD
Guilford Dermatologic Surgeon

Numbing cream for laser tattoo removal

+1

You should ask your pharmacist for a behind-the-counter numbing cream such as EMLA, or L-Max 4 which I think works better, but you need to be careful not to apply this to a large surface area as this can cause toxicity. The best is to call your doctor's office who will be doing the laser treatment and ask them if they apply a numbing cream. Some doctors can apply stronger creams than you can get in the pharmacy.

Ronald Shelton, MD