Numbing and Tingling After Deep Plane Face Lift?

I had a deep plane face lift 9 weeks ago and although I look fine, the amount of numbing and tingling still present really bothers me. The worst areas are along my jaw line, behind my ears, and my upper cheek area under my eyes. I did not have my eyes done but I have dry eyes as a result of the face lift. Is all this normal? My doctor says to give it time. Does a deep plane lift take longer to heal? If so, what is the average waiting time? Will my face ever feel normal again? I'm scared.

Deep plane facelift is quite invasive.

+2

Hi.

The cosmetic result of deep plane facelift can be quite good, but we don't do it because the recovery is significantly longer and more difficult.  You will definitely feel much more normal in a few months.

Numbing and tingling after deep plane face lift

+2

It usually takes 3-6 months for the face to feel normal again. Numbness may be the cause of the nerves being disrupted during the procedure.

Deep plane facelift numbness and tingling

+2

I speak from experience. I am probably the only plastic surgeon on this board who had a facelift. My numbness and tingling lasted three months for the tingling and 6 months for the numbness. I too developed dry eyes (it went away) It is a year and still healing .When I tell patients be patient I did it myself and I am patient...I am thrilled with the result. See my pictures on my website..

+2

IMHO, deep plane face lifts are the most aggressive as far as tissue dissection and post-op downtime.  These symptoms should subside over the following weeks/months.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Numbness and tingling after a facelift

+2

Numbness and tingling after a facelift is completely normal.  Typically, the numbness can last for several months.  The tingling (or sometimes itching) that occurs later in the healing course typically means that the sensation is starting to come back.  I would suggest that you speak with your plastic surgeon and see if he (or she) recommends massaging the areas to help with the discomfort.  Good luck!

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after deep plane face lift

+2

Almost all patients experience some numbness and tingling after a facelift, regardless of the technique.  The areas you describe are the most common sites that this occurs.  In most patients these symptoms will resolve, but the time course varies from patient to patient.  Sometimes it takes a year or even two.  Sometimes there are small persistent areas of numbness, but I have never seen this be a major issue for a patient.

I think that gentle massage helps, generally in an outward and upward direction.  Also good nutrition in the form of a diet rich in antioxidants (berries, pomegranate juice, colored vegetables) aids all forms of healing.

I hope this information is helpful.

This is very normal for both a deep plane facelift and virtually any other type of facelift.

+2

Generally when there has been numbness after a facelift, which is a very common post-surgical issue, the onset of a pins and needles sensation is actual a sign that the numbness is wearing off.  All the sensation may return or you may have patchy area of numbness that persists.  Further recovery is also possible.

Dysesthesia (abnormal sensation) after facelifts is very common.

+2

Dysesthesia after all forms of facelift is very common.  It will usually self correct.  The improvement can be hastened by massage. (It will be prolonged by avoiding contact with the areas.)  We will have patients gently massage the area at least three times daily with a light lotion.  They begin with a gently motion and slowly increase the amount of contact  over three minutes by the clock.  Improvement begins usually after a week of this routine and will persist.In some patient the symptom comes on late as the nerves regrow into the areas lifted.  The treatment is the same.

Good luck you should do well.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Deep plane face lift and numbness

+2

This numbness will go away over the next few months. Your nerves grow about a mm a day in the best conditions. So you can see how it will take a while.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbing and tingling after deep plane facelift

+2

Yes, it is normal to still have the numbness you describe. Check with your surgeon to see if you can start some gentle massage.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/