Number of Tummy Tucks?

If a tummy tuck was done after one child, is it likely that one will be needed after having another child? 

Tummy Tuck after Children

+1

It is best to wait until you are done having children before getting a tummy tuck. Once you have a tummy tuck, the stomach may not stretch to hold a baby through a pregnancy and the baby could be born pre-maturely.

Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy

+1

No patient needs a tummy tuck. It is an elected cosmetic operation.
As to whether you wish to maintain or improve the appearance and flatness or your tummy after pregnancy is a question for you to answer. With pregnancy your muscles and skin will stretch. How much and how they recover after pregnancy will vary from patient to patient. With more weight gain, there is more stretching. See how you do and how you feel. Best wishes.

Richard Linderman, MD

Tummy Tucks and pregnancy

+1

Tummy Tucks (abdominoplasty) are ideally performed after a woman has finished having her children.  However, there are times when patients will have children after abdominoplasty.  In these cases, it has been shown that the history of having a tummy tuck is not harmful to the intra-uterine growth of the fetus and a normal pregnancy can be expected.  The resulting changes to the abdominal skin and muscles varies.  there are certainly patients that will have changes may require some sort of revisional surgery or even complete re-do of the tummy tuck and there are some patients which may need nothing at all as the skin and muscles return to the pre-pregnancy state.  It is unpredictable for any given patient.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Multiple Tummy Tuck Procedures

+1

I agree that Tummy Tuck's are not "necessary" -this is an elective procedure.  If you have a tummy tuck surgery and get pregnant afterwards,  you may have muscle separation, damage of the abdominal skin, etc that you had with the first pregnancy.  Each patient is different.  I have had patients who need another tummy tuck and I have had patients who "bounce back" and don't need another surgery after pregnancy.

Necessity of Tummy Tucks after Pregnancy

+1

Regarding - "If a tummy tuck was done after one child, is it likely that one will be needed after having another child?"

First a Tummy Tuck is never "needed". A Tummy Tuck or abdominoplasty is a discretionary, cosmetic "I want surgery" NOT a necessary, reconstructive, "I Need surgery".

For a pregnancy to proceed to full term the abdominal muscles and skin must be stretched to their full capacity to accommodate the growing uterus. Once the baby is delivered, much of the stretched tissues remain in a varying degree of distention giving rise to the "Mommy Tummy" collection of signs that the majority of women loath. It really makes little sense to have a tummy tuck while still having children because a pregnancy would reverse many to all the cosmetic benefits (narrower waist, flat tummy, raised sagging Mons pubis and removal of stretch marks damaged skin below the belly button) obtained by the tummy tuck. In addition, a secondary tummy tuck is never as easy as the first tummy tuck.

I would strongly advise to to complete your family before having a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).

Peter A Aldea, MD