Number of Juvederm Treatments in a Lifetime?

I had Juvederm injections in my top lip almost a week ago and love the result. However, I am concerned about how long I can carry on having this done for. Is there a maximum number of treatments that I could have over my lifetime?

Juvederm and treatment numbers

+1

No one knows how many treatments you can have over a lifetime with the facial fillers, but I do not see why you can not.

No one really knows, but probably not a problem

+1

Since Juvederm has only been around a few years, no one really knows if there are problems using it over a lifetime. However, the first lip filler, collagen, had no long-term adverse results. Since Juvederm is a natural skin polysaccharide that disappears over time, it is very likely that continuous use is safe. (If we suspected long-term problems, I wouldn't be injecting it!) So, enjoy it!

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Number of Juvederm treatments

+1

I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the future. Newer filler products are constantly coming out on the market as others fall along the wayside. As good as Juvederm is, perhaps an even longer lasting hyaluronic acid filler will be developed. At this time, the hyaluronic acid products (Juvederm, Restylane) are the most appropriate fillers to be using in the lips. If you get repeated injections with these products in the lips, you are not likely to encounter any major issues in the long-term.

Enjoy your new lip!

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Premature Question

+1

It is difficult to answer this. Juvederm has not been around long enough. Sometimes, medications may be used for a fairly long period of time before serious complications are noted. With that said, Juvederm is derived from a natural cross species substance, hyaluronic acid, and theoretically would seem to be safe. However, a lifetime, hopefully in your case, is a long period of time.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist