Number of Invisalign Trays?

I am going out of country to attend university {three months at a time, return for winter break}. I was wondering if my orthodontist would give me enough trays to last this period? {approx. six trays for three months, I'm assuming}. Will it be a problem that I am not seeing him every six weeks? Attachments: Does everyone need them and if I do, can I get them put on during the initial visit since I won't be back for several months? Thanks in advance!

How many Invisalign Trays? Talk to treating Doctor

+3

I have had many students go abroad and have given them 4 or in some cases up to 8 aligners.  I have based this on the past compliance of the patient. I have also requested that they wear the aligners 3 weeks as extra insurance.  Any fitting issues with aligners a close up photo showing the questionable area. Hope this helps.

Dr. Steven Glassman

New York Cosmetic Dentist

It depends on the Orthodontist

+3

Everyone is different. You should ask this question to your Orthodontist. He has to do what makes him comfortable.

Generally, every three months is fine.  During the three months if you see the trays pulling away from the edges of the teeth you should give your Orthodontist a call for further instructions

Don't   miss a day during treatment. Not wearing the aligners as you should is on of the major reasons there are problems with Invisalign therapy. 

Gilbert H. Snow, DDS
Encino Orthodontist

Aligner trays

+2

You will find the best answer from your orthodontist because he has your clincheck and he can tell you how far apart you can see him.Three months is not a very long time. I think you can do the treatment even if you are gone for three months. However, you must wear the aligners as you are told. Do not skip any day.

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

How many Invisalign trays can be dispensed at once?

+2

How many trays can be dispensed at once depends on the particulars of each case.  If all teeth are tracking well and there are no procedures (like IPR or placing attachments) within a given sequence of aligners, then it should not be a problem to go 3 months.  However, if any teeth stop tracking well, or if IPR is needed at a particular step then progressing beyond that step without visiting your doctor would likely cause failure of the case.  Ask your orthodontist about this and he/she should be able to answer your question directly.  Working closely with your orthodontist, I'm sure you'll be able to make this work.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Probably, but you need to discuss with your orthodontist.

+2

Your requests seem reasonable, and there are very few reasons why your orthodontist would have difficulty accommodating you.

Just make sure you give him advance notice so that if he had anything planned for that time period he can take care of it before you leave.

Send him an email letting him know what your plans are.

Just make sure you are very compliant with following his instructions about wearing the trays while you are away.

Best!

Dr. Alper

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist