Numb Nipple After Breast Aug?

Hi All. I had AG done nearly 4 months ago, gel, under the muscle, tear drop, incisions under the breast. One nipple has always had sensation, however, one was numb but with sharp pains for a while, but now it is just totally numb. I am very worried that it will never come back! Is it normal for this numbing to be so long? Is there anything I can do to help bring the sensation back??? Thanks!

Nipple Numbness After Augmentation

+2

Loss of nipple sensation is a known problem after breast augmentation, although it occurs infrequently (2-4%).  Hopefully you made aware of this possibility preoperatively.  There is nothing to do other than wait.  The fact that you had pains earlier increases the chance of sensation returning.

Permanent anesthesia of the nipple almost never occurs after breast augmentation

+2

In implementing anesthetic for several months after a breast augmentation but in my experience it always returns. I think you have little to worry about.

Numbness after augmentation.

+2

Don't panic!  It can take a minimum of a year for sensation to normalize and while up to 15% of patients may have permanent change in nipple sensation you are a long way from completely healed. There is nothing but time to correct this and nothing you can do to speed the process.  Your early pain sensation are a very good sign that sensation should return. I know it is tough, but try and relax and don't panic !

Melinda Haws, MD

A numb nipple.

+2

Loss of nipple sensation is a well-known risk of breast implant surgery. The bigger the implant, the higher the risks which may occur from 1 to 5 % depending on the specifics of the case. However, 4 months is not long enough to allow a nerve to fully recover. It may very well take up to a year or longer. Speak with your PS about these concerns. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Numb nipple

+1
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with this issue. The Peri-areolar incision is associated with increased risk of nipple numbness due to the fact that the nerve is in close proximity.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Loss of nipple sensation following a breast augmentation

+1

Loss of nipple sensation is always a possibility with breast augmentation but is in the <1% range.  There is still a possibility that your sensation will return in the next 6 to 12 months.  

Nerve Injury

+1

I am sorry to hear about your numbness.  There is really no surgical solution to your issue. Time will tell whether this nerve injury will recover.  Unfortunately, this is a known risk in breast augmentation surgery.  Hopefully, that was reviewed with your prior to your surgery.  Work closely with your PS to help track the progress the nerve recovery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Sensation in nipple after breast augmentation

+1

In the majority of patients, nipple sensation is normal after breast augmentation once the swelling has subsided. The majority will have normal sensation within one year. But there are some that have loss.

Numb Nipple After Breast Aug?

+1

Loss of sensation is a known risk, but not something I would consider "normal."  Many patients who have diminished feeling may regain some for up to a year following surgery. Some patients who think they are completely numb are actually not. 

An in office evaluation by your surgeon would be your correct option at this time. All the best.