Are You Suppose to Massage Anatomical Implants?

I have 295cc modplus anatomical gummy bead implants. I was told to squeeze top and then bottom as massage for 20 seconds 3 times I day. I am 4 1/2 wks post op and everything seems fine but now I am reading online not to massage as it could rotate the implants.

Massage Anatomical implants?

+4

Yes, all implants should be massaged long term.  There is a natural capsule that forms around all implants.  The theory behind massage is to keep that capsule thin and flexible to help prevent thickening and contracture of the capsule causing pain and cosmetic deformity.  This is a life long therapy that should be done.  However, you are correct in thinking that you should be careful about massaging anatomical implants while they are healing.  Make sure you follow your surgeons instructions precisely and duplicate the massage in front of them to make sure you are doing it correctly.  You do not want to rotate the implants.  However, after 4 weeks or so, the implants will be quite sticky in place and hard to rotate even if you wanted to.  There is tissue ingrowth into the textured covering of the implant that keeps it in place.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

There are many post-op protocols, probably more than there are surgeons. Since you chose a surgeon based upon whatever criteria you have used, I would recommend following that surgeons instructions. Obviously there are differences of opinions in the postings here, but nothing in the recommendations seems out of customary instructions. 

Thanks, and best wishes. 

Massaging Anatomic Implants at 4.5 weeks

+1

If these were the instructions you received at your most recent visit to your plastic surgeon,  then massage is appropriate.  Anatomic implants can rotate, and I have had consultations for quite a few that have had that problem.  However, if your plastic surgeon cleared you to massage the implants, he or she feels confident in the healing that has already taken place.

Massage after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Although I think online forums can be a good source of general information, I also think that it is best for patients to follow their own plastic surgeon's recommendations. Otherwise, the advice you receive online is nonspecific and  potentially confusing etc.

Remember, that you chose your plastic surgeon for a reason and that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Massaging anatomi implants

+1

Follow your doctors orders.   Any change in your protocol should go through her/him.

Talmege Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Massaging Shaped implants

+1

I do not recommend that shaped implants be massaged.  As earlier stated there is no proof massage does anything to reduce capsular contracture and I believe in contra-indicated in a shaped device.  It is important that a interface occurs between your tissue and the texturing on the implant.  Massage may disrupt that increasing the chance of a rotation in my opinion.  I believe you should discuss this with your surgeon.

Charles R. Nathan, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Massage of implants

+1

Every surgeon is different regarding massage and it also depends upon the type of implant used.  Best to ask your surgeon.

Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear LMS25,

I don't have my patients massage anatomic implants as that can cause them to rotate.  There is no good evidence that I am aware of to indicate that implant massage deceases capsular contracture rates.  Massaging anatomic implants can certainly rotate them, however.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

No proof that massage of implants has any effect on capsular contracture.

+1

I am aware of no study that concludes that massage of implants decreases the risk of capsular contracture. Conversely, there is no evidence that it does any harm.  Do what your doctor recommends.  I would be very cautious massaging in the first few weeks.