What is Up with my Belly Button? (photo)

I am 4 weeks post op from my tummy tuck and I am starting to think my belly button isn't going to get any better. Is it normal for it to still be puffy/swollen after 4wks? The top to me looks more like an outtie and the bottom like a small innie, the scar is also visable on the top but not the bottom

Normal Healing, Slight Excess

+2

Thank you for your question and photo.  It appears that you are healing normally. The appearance of your belly button should improve with time.  There is a small amount of excess skin, but I would not recommend doing anything for at least 1 year.  It is likely to improve significantly.  Recovery does take time. Best wishes.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Concerns 4 weeks after Tummy Tuck

+1

Having concerns about the belly button 4 weeks after tummy tuck is fairly common.  The scar will improve over a year's time.

Whats up with your belly button...

+1

as the others have said, you have a slight redundancy.  When you are fully recovered, talk to your surgeon about revisions.  You can choose between making the belly button larger or removing the excess belly button and leaving the belly button the size it is.  Hopefully your surgeon has a favorable revision policy as well to minimize your costs.

Curtis Wong, MD

Belly button redundancy?

+1

Hello and thank you for your question,

I agree with the other surgeons that you are still early in your healing process, and that your belly button may evolve with time.  You currently seem to have a small amount of redundacy to the upper aspect, and this may improve as the scar softens, but this may take 6 months.  If this is still present after all the swelling is gone and the scar is soft, then a small minor revision to this area is all that is needed.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

What is Up with my Belly Button

+1

It is so early in the postop period that it is hard not to expect further improvement in the swelling. The navel is completely surrounded by scar and will hold swelling longer than the rest of the abdomen after a TT. 

Patience.  If this persists at six months, then discuss options with your surgeon.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Need more time for the umbilical scar to mature

+1

It is hard to predict what your final umbilical shape will be like since you are only 4 weeks post op.   Give it some time to complete the healing process.  You can also consider massage of the area to help the scar settle down.  

What is Up with my Belly Button?

+1

Still very early in the healing phases of your operation. Best to discuss with your surgeon to see if there is some other issue occurring. 

Belly button healing after tummy tuck

+1

It's very common to have residual swelling around the belly button after the tummy tuck surgery, especially just above. It takes 3 to 6 months for the expected swelling to completely subside. As long as the area is not collection fluid or forming a seroma, you should be ok and allow it to heal completely. Even in the remote situation that you need revision, it's still wise to wait a minimal 6 months after the surgery. Check up with your plastic surgeon periodically to make sure your recovery is on track.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Belly Button OK?

+1

Hi,

It is not unusual for the belly button to be puffy/swollen for 6-12 weeks post-op.

By 6 months it should be "settled". Based on your pictures, I think you can expect a good result.

Thanks for your question and good luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Regulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure; most likely you  have been to the worst of the  the recovery period.

At 4 weeks post op, residual swelling is present.  I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience and evaluate the appearance of the umbilicus several months  to a year from now. Of course, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource for precise answers to your questions.