Noticeable Asymmetry Five Weeks After Asian Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

I am a 22-year-old female now five weeks post-op. I had a medial epicanthoplasty and blepharoplasty performed by a surgeon in Korea on December 18, 2012. I understand that I am nowhere near full recovery, but I feel extremely unsettled by the fact that my right eye is so much puffier than my left. Any advice?

Asymmetry in early post-operative period after blepharoplasty

+1

It's still very early in your recovery, and it's not uncommon for asymmetry to be present as the swelling resolves.  The position of your lid creases will continue to descend as you heal, and the symmetry likely will improve. 

Swelling after Asian eyelid surgery

+1

don't worry yet. It is still early. The question that has to be answered first is did you have some asymmetry to begin with that required surgical technique be a little bit different on one side versus the other. At least 30% of my Asian eyelid cases are for asymmetry in addition to creating a crease that the patient finds more attractive.I would wait at least two more months before you judge it as a success or not. I'd recommend you take photos of yourself once a week or once every two weeks to track your progress. You should also correspond with your surgeon over e-mail or Skype.  the longest I've had some of my surgeries appear asymmetric without revising them was around four months. In some both cases it was expected because the patient was asymmetric to begin with so their healing will be asymmetric.

I Hope that was helpful

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon