Notched Nostril After Rhinoplasty, What Can Be Done? (photo)

Hi, I had Rhinoplasty to correct my bulbous tip and its been 8 Months now.The left nostril is "notched," making the left nostril seem higher than the right. This distortion is most noticeable from the front view. and also the septum looks elevated. I have been patient only because healing heard that takes longer time, but since from the surgery till 8 months i did not see any improvement, before questioning my doctor, can somebody tell me what are the solutions? and do i need to undergo another surgery?

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Your concerns are valid and your photos show a hanging ala on the right, the tip has a parentheses appearance, the left tip cartilage is forward and higher than that on the right, and the left nostril rim is notched. These were mostly likely present to some degree before your previous surgery.

You will need to undergo another surgery (excision of inside tissue to raise the ala on the right, suture realignment of the tip cartilages, composite graft to lower the notch on the left). Even in the best of hands these problems may be improved but not be totally correctable.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

You may be a candidate for a NonSurgicalRhinoplasty treatment to improve the notching of your nostrils.

+1

If this is your only concern about the appearance of your nose following Rhinoplasty Surgery, an injectable filler may be considered to lower your nostrils. My personal preference and experience is with Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Notched Nostril After Rhinoplasty, What Can Be Done?

+1

Standardized preoperative and postoperative images or an exam would be necessary to really make any comment here.   The asymmetry is usually present before the surgery.  Nostril asymmetry is the norm, and sometimes chasing a nostril asymmetry issue with another surgery involving placement of cartilage or other maneuvers may not be worth it. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA