Can Nostrils Become Wider After Nose-lengthening Rhinoplasty?

i underwent secondary rhinoplasty whereby the doctor removed my silicon implant and replaced it with a silicon-cum-goretex i-shaped implant, in addition to lengthening my short nose with septal and ear cartilage grafts. Occasionally during the 10 days following surgery, i have sometimes woken up to find myself unknowingly picking my nose, and have constantly flared my nostrils and frowned. i noticed that my nostrils have gradually become slightly more flared. did my bad habits cause it?

Finger manipulation of nose is avoidable

+1

Manipulation of your nose after rhinoplasty should be avoided. However, It is unlikely  to changed the shape of your nose.Widening of nostril can occur due to decrease in tip projection & if that is the case,you may benefit from a secondary alar excision.Please consult your surgeon about this.

India Plastic Surgeon

Nostrils Wider after Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Although manipulation of your tip after revision rhinoplasty will not be beneficial, it is unlikely that it wil widen your nostrils. Your problem is probably secondary to decreased tip projection after the operation. Talk to your surgeon for an explanation. 

Manipulation of your nose after rhinoplasty is ill-advised

+1

Manipulation of your nose after rhinoplasty is ill-advised. However, it is unlikely to have changed the shape of your nostrils. Increased nostril flare usually results following rhinoplasty where the nasal tip is deprojected (set back) without compensatory maneuvers (Weir excisions) to reduce nostril flare.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fingers in nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Although it's never a good idea for you to place your fingers inside your nose immediately after a Rhinoplasty...especially one with multiple grafts that require time to become stable...I doubt you have caused anything adverse by what you describe.  I would stop using your finger to manipulate or go inside your nose.