Can I Make my Nostrils Smaller Without Surgery?

I recently had a rhinoplasty procedure (1 month post-op) and after the reduction of my tip and bridge, my nostrils seem noticeably wide to me. Before, my wider and longer nose blended in with the wider nostrils. Any suggestions? Please & Thank you!

Correction of Wide Nostrils

+6

The cartilage of the nose has some rigidity and some memory. Immediately post-tip rhinoplasty, the nostrils sometimes change shape. It is often temporary and it usually settles down. One month post tip-rhinoplasty is very very early to assess any results.

Should the nostrils still be wide 6-12 months post-operatively, you might want to consider a relatively minor procedure where a small wedge of tissue in each nostril sill (internally) is removed and the alar (nostril) base is brought slightly more medially (towards each other), reducing slightly the circumference of each nostril. This is a simple procedure often performed under local anesthesia alone, with very minimal discomfort and minimal down-time. I rarely recommend an external approach to nostril reduction as the scars are often noticeable.

Smaller Nostrils

+2

The nostrils can be narrowed and the flare decreased with incisions at the base of the nose. However, wait another 9-12 months before any additional surgery - you're only 1 month post-op.

Nasal Tip and Nostrils Large One Month After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Lala,

You can try throwing them in the washing machine and then the dryer, no that only works with some jeans.  Unfortunately it takes surgery to make the nostrils smaller.  Fortunately, you are only one month post rhinoplasty and the nasal tip is the last part of your nose where swelling goes away.  You have a gorgeous nose with beautiful skin.  Be patient.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD