Can Nostrils Be "Re-biggened"?

Wife had alar base reduction/ nostril narrowing. Now lower lateral cartilage/ nostril area is consticted. she can't breathe. What procedures/docs can reverse the surgery and constriction? Will tissue grafts be needed?

Nostrils can be enlarged to improve breathing

+1

Yes, tissue grafts from the ear can be used to widen the alar base. Multiple different tip procedures can be performed to improve airflow through the nose and a make the nostrils look less pinched. This is very complicated and needs to be performed by someone experienced with this type of procedure. Look for a rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed thousands of nose jobs.

Enlarging nostrils

+1

Enlarging nostrils is not a popular procedure and often quite difficult without leaving serous scarring. You should definitely be evaluated to see if the narrow nostrils are the cause of your breathing difficulties. 

Enlarging Nostrils after Rhinplasty

+1

Without  pictures it is impossible to determine the cause your wife's problem and offer suggestions for treatment. See an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon for evaluation of her breathing problem and dicussion of alternative treatments. Best of Luck.

Enlarge nostrils

+1

It is possible to reverse the effects of an alar base reduction. However, this is a very difficult procedure. I would really need to see photos and/or perform an examination to give you the best advice. Please feel free to send photos to my office and I would be happy to take a look at them. You may find my contact information in my profile. Thank you, and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

nostrils enlarged

+1

Yes, it requires a composite full thickness skin/fat/?cartilage grafts. But there will be scars. Have you discussed with 3 boarded PS in your area?

Dr. B

Reversing nostril or alar base reduction

+1

While the procedure may be difficult, it can be done and often requires composite grafting with tissue from the ears if both nostrils are too narrow. However, other factors may be causing the breathing issues and you should see a rhinoplasty expert especially one who is experienced in revision rhinoplasties. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Breathing Problems After Alarplasty/Nasal Base Reduction

+1

Hi Mr. Higgins,

"Re-biggened"?   Once skin is removed in alar base reduction, it is difficult to "re-big" the alar base even with the use of tissue grafts.  There may be techniques to improve her breathing, but careful examination of her nose is necessary.  Consult with a few rhinoplasty experts.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P 

Michael A. Persky, MD

Can nostrils be widened after reduction.

+1

There are many reasons why she may have trouble with her airway. See an experienced revision rhinoplasty expert who will give you better information once he has examined the nose.

Nostrils can be made larger but it is a more dfficult procedure

+1

There are a number of reasons why the nasal airway can become more constricted after Rhinoplasty. It may be too narrow a nostril opening, weakening of support for the  nostril as well as scar tissue. Each has a different treatment; grafts are frequently used from your own tissue. I suggest you see a specialist in revision Rhinoplasty for an opinion.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD