Nostril Skin Flare at 6 Wks Revision Rhinoplasty, Did I Do This While Cleaning my Nostril?

For the past 2 weeks I've noticed at the very tip of one of my nostrils (at the top of the nostril/below where the cartilage is) is flared out. I had been using q-tips to gently clean out and lubricate my nostrils and inside the tip, as directed by my Dr. I didn't press or stretch the skin around my nostrils excessively, just a gentle pressure while cleaning, and enough pressure to get the mucus out. Did I create this flare when cleaning? Will taping the flare down do any good 6 wks post op?

Healing after rhinoplasty

+2

It's pretty unlikely that you caused the flaring with a q-tip, especially since it sounds like you were very conscientious and gentle with your cleaning.  Without a picture it's a little tough to envision what you are describing, but if it's alar retraction you are referring to, then it's still early in your recovery and with time it may relax a bit.  Voice your concerns with your surgeon, as she will be in the best position to examine you and direct your post-operative course.  

Nostril Skin Flare After Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

It is very unlikely that you had anything to do with what you are describing as being flared out. You are still very early on in the healing process, and with time, this will most likely settle. If you are still concerned, please check with your rhinoplasty surgeon to make sure everything is ok.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD