Nostril Are Asymmetrical 2 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty, Could This Be Due To Swelling Or Is This Probably Permanent?

Before my surgery my nostrils were the same size, with a slight exception due to deviated septum. Post-op with the cast the nostrils looked very similarly sized. Since removing the cast the nostrils are asymmetrical, with one being larger and the tip looking as if it is pointed more in one direction. I am about 2 1/2 weeks post op. I am starting to become upset about this and am considering a revision to make the nostrils the same size. The nostrils are worse now than before surgery

Nostril asymmetry

+1
This is a common concern and occurrence. Not only is it still swollen and to early to tell, but at this point the swelling often changes unevenly from side to side. Talk to your surgeon and be patient.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concerned about rhinoplasty results at 2 weeks postoperatively

+1

Two weeks following a rhinoplasty is far too early to determine the exact outcome in appearance. Why? This is because there is still a considerable amount of swelling still present and this can even be asymmetrical during this period of time.

You need to wait at least 6 months and even up to a year to be able to determine the long term result.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Assymetic nostrils post rhinoplasty

+1

My suggestion is to be patient. As swelling decreases, the shape changes, and little assymetries correct themselves. Stay in contact with your surgeon.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Be patient following rhinoplasty

+1

It is not unusual to have significant swelling this soon after surgery.  You will not know the result for several months.  You will continue to have minor changes to your nose for one full year following surgery.  Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Louisiana's Only Triple Board Certified Cosmetic Surgeon

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be patient, you are still healing

+1

You need to be patient, you are still very swollen and healing so asymmetries are not uncommon.  You will see your final result after 6-12 months.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Recovery from Rhinoplasty

+1

Two to three weeks after rhinoplasty is way to early to get worried.  After any surgery there is swelling, especially after rhinoplasty.  While it is tempting to constantly inspect your nose in the mirror, try forgetting about it for awhile.  You are just going to drive yourself crazy waiting for the swelling to resolve.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Assymetry after rhinoplasty

+1

This web site is flush with questions about asymmetries after rhinoplasty.  Typically the panic is two to three weeks after taking the splint off.  Please be patient.   Your final result will reveal itself in several months.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Two weeks after rhinoplasty, too soon to tell

+1

Of course, in the best of situations the nose will have a nice shape and look symmetric as the splint is removed. If the tip does lean to one side and cause the nostril to appear asymmetric after the second week, your concern is understood. Have your surgeon take a careful look to see if the nose is well supported and looks as it should. At two weeks, it may just be too soon to tell so be patient.

peterejohnsonmd