Nostril Revision Surgery 22 Years Post Rhino, Advice Needed Please? (photo)

As you can see my nostrils are grossly misaligned and have worsened since my rhino 22 years ago to repair the bridge of my nose. Is the surgery to repair this less invasive and extensive than a full rhino? As such, can you estimate cost and recovery for me? Also, what do I ask when I see a specialist? Thank you.

Nostril Revision Surgery 22 Years Post Rhino, Advice Needed Please?

+1

I am not sure what I would recommend due to the angle at which the pictures are taken.  I may alter one of the nostrils, the other, or both depending upon the exam.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nostril Revision Surgery

+1

While a  "full" rhinoplasty may not be necessary the entire  tip must be revised with cartilage grafts to correct the nostril asymmetry and retraction. Cost will be determined after examination of your nose.

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

There is definitely some asymmetry of your nasal dorsum.  It even looks like you may have had a silicone dorsal implant inserted at the time of your initial rhinoplasty.  In any event an examination would be needed to determine if any improvement could be obtained from a revision rhinoplasty.  

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

I see lots of questions on RealSelf concerning "types" of rhinoplasties, ie "tip" rhinoplasty vs "full" rhinoplasty.  Let me say first that a rhinoplasty is a rhinoplasty.  Not every rhinoplasty involves modifying every part of the nose, but it's all rhinoplasty.  Anyway, your nose is going to be very challenging to improve for several reasons, first off because it is a revision.  Also, nostril asymmetry is exceedingly hard to fix.  So, in answer to your question, your revision surgery will no doubt be more extensive and very likely take longer than your initial surgery.  I see plenty of revision cases that take me many hours to revise where the initial surgery probably took 30 minutes and seemed to the patient to be "minimally invasive".  The cost completely depends on the surgeon and the area.  Good luck...

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

A revision rhinoplasty is most extensive and difficult than a first rhinoplasty.  Healing and recovery can also take longer.  In most cases perfection is elusive.  Adjust your expectations.  Donald R. Nunn  MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Nostril asymmetry and revision correction.

+1

Nostril asymmetry and revision correction is not simple. For 35 years I have done these and it takes longer to do than a rhinoplasty because the real problem is in the over resection of tip cartilage etc. See a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon and do NOT shop price.

Revision alarplasty

+1

It would seem a simple issue, just make the nostrils more even.

However the root of the problem is the missing cartilages above the retracted ala, the scar tissue associated with your previous surgery.

You are best off seeing an experienced surgeon and planning on a revision rhinoplasty.

Whatever you do, don't take a 'shortcut procedure' as that will not address the problems causing your nostrils to be asymmetric.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Nostril Asymmetry

+1

Hi,

This is a difficult problem to fix. I think you need a cartilage graft on the left and alar reduction on the right to even things out. That said, you would have to be examined for a definitive answer.

DrS.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS