Nostril Reduction on an Oily/thick Skin?

Hi there, I had Rhinoplasty 2 years ago and my surgeon suggested to do the nostril reduction after 1 month of the Rhinoplasty. unfortunately I didn't have the chance to do the nostril reduction, and now after 2 years I'm thinking of it. I went to 2 surgeons and all of them suggested not to do it because of the scarring that will appear afterwards, and they said that the scarring will be visible and will never go away !! ........ is this true?

Nostril Reduction For Thick Skin

+1

Though it can potentially be more difficult to perform the surgery for patients with thick and sebaceous skin, the final results from the surgery can still be outstanding. Sometimes, there as an increased risk of scarring that is a bit higher in cases such as this.

Nostril base reduction

+1

There are different techniques for nostril or alar base reduction depending upon your skin type and shape of your nostrils. Sometimes the scarring can be visible and this can often be treated with the laser or dermabrasion to minimize this from occurring.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril reduction, etc.

+1

It depends on where the incision is made. If outside the area below the hole the  chances of infection and bad scar are to much for me to do. If under the hole of the nostril this has not given me any problem in 35 years of rhinoplasty.

Scars for nostril reduction

+1

Nostril reduction can be done in many different ways, and the quality and visibility of the scar depends on the technique. I think it is wise to wait if you are unsure. There are techniques that avoid a large scar on the external skin. Where exactly the incisions are made depends on what you are trying to accomplish, and whether you want to narrow the nostrils themselves (for flared nostrils) and/or the narrow the width of the alar base. Excisions of the nostril sill and part of the ala can be done without extending the scar along the entire alar crease. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon with experience performing this procedure specifically, and ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of the scar that is typical in that surgeons hands. It is possible to get a very natural looking reduction in the nostrils, but it is very difficult to fix a reduction done poorly.

Anita Patel, MD