Is One Nostril Higher Due to Swelling or Bad Rhinoplasty?

I am almost 7 weeks post op and I have noticed since week 3 that my left nostril has a slit like triangular appears and is higher, while my right nostril looks the same prior to the surgery. After my surgery, I had dissolvable stitches in the left nostril but not the right, but never knew why. It also seems as if my left side is more swollen than the right. Will the unevenness of my nostrils even out, or is this unevenness caused by alar retraction?

Asymmetric Nostrils 7 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Zwankie,

It does appear that your nostrils are asymmetric.  Best to discuss this with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  There is not anything to be done at this time, but if the nostrils remain asymmetrical in 6 to 12 months, then revision may be necessary.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Nostril Asymmetry 7 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nostril asymmetry may be due to swelling, but I recommend you talk to your surgeon. If sutures were  placed on just one side, which is unlikely, this would not cause alar retraction.

Asymmetric nostrils after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling of the nose is normal after rhinoplasty, and may be more pronounced on one side than the other. The tip tends to remain swollen longer than other parts of the nose. It may take a full year for the nose to assume its final result. Consult with your surgeon if you are concerned about your appearance at this point.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD