Will Nostrils Be Symmetric Once Rhinoplasty Swelling Subsides?

I had a septo-rhinoplasty 12 days ago, and my nostrils are uneven. I have noticed it a day after packing removal (day 5). Even though my doctor tells me it's just a swelling problem and the asymmetry will be gone soon, I'm really scared that something is wrong with my septum. Before surgery, I had an un-noticeable deviated septum, my nose was straight, and my nostrils were symmetric. I really need your answers to my problem. Can I hope for symmetry after swelling is off, after a month, maybe? Thank you in advance!

Swelling and being a 'patient' patient!

+3

Your doctor is giving you the only advice there is right now. It's much too early to tell if there's a problem with your nose at this point. When the swelling subsides you and your surgeon will have a much better idea of what the final outcome will be. In the meantime you'll just need to relax a bit and know that time is on your side. Keep this picture and compare to pictures you'll take in several months. You should notice a remarkable difference due solely to the reduction of swelling present. The healing process is a critical phase of a rhinoplasty or any other cosmetic surgery. Being a "patient" patient is the best gift you can give yourself!

Asymmetry will get better once swelling subsides

+2

Since it has only been 12 days since your rhinoplasty, your nostrils are very swollen and could be uneven. Unfortunately, you had packing placed inside your nose. The swelling and asymmetry in the nose should get better as time goes on and should subside once swelling goes away. Full healing takes a year after a rhinoplasty.

Nostril asymmetry may get better as swelling subsides

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Your nostril asymmetry may be impacted by swelling.  There is also the possibility that the nostril asymmetry is due to the position of the lower lateral cartilages.  At this time it is hard to know how much is due to which source as you can imagine.  I would continue to wait for the swelling to go down and then re-evaluate.

Dr. Remus Repta 

Web reference: http://drrepta.com

Asymmetry after Rhinoplasty

+1

Asymmetry of swelling is very common after any surgical procedure.  Your patience will be rewarded. You will see significant changes over the next several weeks. Appearance will continue to improve for 6-12 months.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.