Can Nostrils Be Filled to Achieve Symmetry?

I had a skin graft on my nose for skin cancer, and stitches were pulled out and now my one nostril is irregularly shaped and makes me look loopy, totally distracting and not symmetrical. Can it be filled?

Nostrils may be lowered with Injectable Fillers.

+1

If your nostril is too high after your skin nasal graft, it may be lowered with an Injectable Filler treatment. I've attached a link to my Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty photos, as this is a common condition I treat.

I hope this is helpful for you.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril reconstruction and fillers

+1

It is difficult to see exactly what the problem is. If you had an excision of soft tissue and skin and now are left witha flattened area, you may be better off with a local flap or even a distant flap to bring in better tissue. To inject fillers under a skin graft will probably not suffice.

Nostril Reconstruction for Better Symmetry

+1

Basal Cell and Squamous cell skin cancers on the tip of the nose are best reconstructed by moving adjacent tissue around. The result are barely visible scars. Rarely, when the patient has a cancer that may come back (such as melanoma or a highly recurrent form of Basal Cell - IE multiforme), doctors use a skin graft because IF the cancer comes back it will be visible much easier. Unfortunately, skin grafts (split thickness MORE than full thickness) pull the wound edges together and can deform structures.

In your case, your right nostril appears to be notched. This may be due to the original surgery OR due to the pull by the skin graft. Fillers are NOT the answer in your case.

If you have no medical conditions, your nose can be reconstructed in several ways. In my opinion, the best results would come from

1. Resurface the tip and nostrils with a para median Forehead flap. Large operation but has excellent results with perfect color match.

2. Use 2 flaps ; a BILOBAR flap to build the tip (after removal of the graft) and a composite ear graft to correct the right nostril notching

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea