Can Nostril Shape Be Changed Without "Breaking" Anything in That Area?

I've been wondering about this for a while now.  I like my profile. I'm afraid of getting any "extensive" work done but am ok with minor work. I'm happy with my nose except for the width of the nostrials. Can this be altered without any "breaking" of bones? If so, please explain. Thanks in advance.

Changing Nostril Shape

+2

Nostril shape can be changed without breaking anything by altering the nasal base with a technique called alar base reduction. The actual procedure is modified depending on the needs of each individual patient.

Changing nostril shape

+2

Yes, it is possible to change the shape of the nostrils without breaking the nose. If you wish to narrow the nostrils, a procedure called an alar base reduction may be performed. Alar base reduction is a procedure that yields great results but takes a highly skilled surgeon to perform successfully. Any scarring is minimally visible. I have a great deal of experience performing alar base reduction. You may view examples of alar base reduction surgeries I have performed, and learn more about the procedure on my website. My information is listed in my profile. Thank you and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Narrowing the nostrils

+2

The nostrils can be narrowed very easily without a full rhinoplasty and certainly without having to break the nose.  Most plastic surgeons should be able to handle this for you, the risks are small, and the result can be very nice and not give you an "operated on" look.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Changing your nostril shape

+2

The shape of the nostrils can be changed without an extensive rhinoplasty surgery.  This is part of a procedure termed alar base reduction.  It should be noted though, that sometimes narrowing the base/nostrils of the nose can make the bridge/dorsum look wider. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for a full evaluation. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril narrowing without rhinoplasty.

+2

This is frequently done when only the base of the nose needs to be altered. You can leave the rest of the nose alone.

Changing the shape of the nostril

+1

Yes, it is possible to narrow the nostril area and although this usually requires an inicison and stitches, the scars are not often hugely objectionable. Talk to your surgeon and get evaluatedto se what would work best for you.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Nostril surgery

+1

If the nostrils are large or flared, these can be reduced without "breaking anything" because there are no bones in this area.

nostril shape be changed without "breaking" anything

+1

Yes but there are issues concerning the anatomic appearance of this aesthetic unit of the face. Seek the opinion of 3 boarded plastic surgeons in your area. From MIAMI Dr. B

Yes but....

+1

Hi,

Nothing needs to be broken for the nostrils to be narrowed.  However, you need to make sure you find a good surgeon who can guide you through what is appropriate for your nose.  For example, if everything else is fine and all you need is narrowing of the nostrils then that can be done.  However, if your tip is larger than it should be for your nose or other things are off balance then narrowing of the nostrils may make those other issues stand out even more.  The art of rhinoplasty is first in "diagnosis" of the problem then in its proper surgical execution.

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon