I Want to Make my Nose Proportionally Smaller (photo)

I want a rhinoplasty, but I'm afarid I wont get the results I want without looking like Michael Jackson. Is it possible to have this same nose only smaller? Thanks guys

Ethnic Rhinoplasty- How to make the nose smaller but natural looking

+2

Hello

Nose is in the central part of the face and rhinoplasty should be done while keeping the ethnic ratios of the face and nose proportional.

It is important to have a surgeon that has experience creating natural results with ethnic rhinoplasty. Also, the skin needs to shrink and reshape itself while the underlying structure needs to be supported.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Reduction Rhinoplasty

+2

You can reduce the size of your nose without changing the characteristics that you like. Make sure that you and your surgeon clearly establish reasonable goals before the operation so you can meet your expectations and achieve a natural result. Thee  experience of your surgeon is critical.

African American Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

The part of your nose I would address is your bulbous or fatty tip and the width of your nostrils. The fatty tip can be made smaller by removing the fat through an open rhinoplasty approach. Then to give your tip more structure, I would some cartilage grafts. The nostrils can be slight narrowed to reduce the width. See links below for some before and afters.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Getting a proportionally smaller nose with rhinoplasty

+2

You don't need to get a Michael Jackson level of change to make your nose smaller.

You should be sure to clearly communicate with your potential surgeon what it is you're looking for. Preoperative computer morphing should help with this discussion.

In paients with thicker skin it can be hard for it to redrape properly if too much of a reduction is made so conservative changes are key to a successful result.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty is tailored for the individual patient.  No surgeon wants his patient's nose to look like MIchael Jacksons.  Most would say he looked OK after the first one, but towards the end, I suppose he had multiple revisions to make it smaller.  Obviously, it did not go well and teaches people a lesson to not ask for too many revisions to search for some form of perfection because it can never be obtained.  Improved yes...perfection no.  Good luck.

Changing size but keeping shape

+2

Changing size but keeping shape of the nose is possible.  African noses tend to have thicker skin which does not shrink well so there is a limit to how much smaller the nose can be made. If you would be happy with a subtle reduction then you are a good candidate.

Sam Naficy, MD

Smaller nose

+2

Morning Antwanette,

That's very doable but you want to keep in conservative in some respects.  First off, it would pay to see someone who has experience performing rhinoplasty on People of Color.  For instance, for your type of nose, obviously you want someone experienced with Black people and Asian people.  These two ethnic groups share several anatomic characteristics.  So a couple of details:

1.  Be patient, after surgery it will take a good 3 months for the final result to show.  With your type of skin and what I assume is strong nasal bones and relatively weak cartilage even moderate to significant changes will take time to show through the skin.

2.  Alar base reduction.  This is a common recommendation by surgeons for your type of nose and when done well really adds to the procedure.  However, it's kind of a cook-book move and if not done carefully can look a little unnatural.  Fortunately this is something that can be done under local later on after your initial surgery.  Why stage it?  You man not need it.  You probably will, but it's an option.

Everything else you need to know you'll learn from the surgeons your consult with.  Get several, don't cheat yourself.  Ask for photos!  We surgeons are proud and have a tendency to say, "Oh yes, I perform Ethnic rhinoplasty."  Translation, "I did one 10 years ago and read about it last week."  Look for the photos and explanations why they did what they did for the person in that photo. 

Good luck, hope that helped.  You've got a beautiful face with wonderful features, take care of it.  Incidentally, you look quite different in each of those photos.  The first one is how you look to the rest of the world.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

I want a smaller nose (photo)

+2

Of course, yes, it is possible to diminish size and/or change the shape of your nose, producing desirable changes, and still maintaining your identity without a surgical look.  No side view shown, but important in planning.

Consult with a surgeon or two experienced in rhinoplasty for a better idea of what is possible, and what to expect.

Steve Laverson, MD

Smaller nose in the African American patient.

+2

You can have a smaller and normal looking nose if you select an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does African American noses and makes them look natural. 

SMALLER NOSE

+2

Yes, it definitely possible to create a  smaller and more refined nose for you.  You do have a pretty small face and minimizing the size of your nose would add to your beauty.  It is important to do your homework and find a qualified surgeon that performs Rhinoplasties on a regular basis.  I wish you well.

David Alessi, MD