Silicon or Gore-tex for flight-attendant asian rhinoplasty?

Hi,Im an Asian and might have rhinoplasty done in coming months... I am considering silicon or otherwise goretex.. However,.there is a serious issue I facing with.. I am a flight attendant and work in airplane EVERYWEEK, would silicone @ goretex nose will affected ( sink or whatever due to pressure ) after long-term of flight in coming years?? I really concerned with this issue and I hope that the experts from this forum can answer my question.. Thank you

Silicone vs Goretex for Rhinoplasty in flight attendant

+3

No, nether nasal implant, silicone or goretex would be affected by the changes in cabin pressure during air travel.  Much more important, IMHO is that goretex is porous and tends to become infected some years later for no apparent cause and for that reason, I ceased using this nasal implant back in the mid 1990's and only use silicone nasal implants.  The only type of silicone nasal implant, that I use, is the straight one to increase the dorsal bridge. I do not use the L-shaped one that can erode through the skin at the L junction.  This one should not be used, IMHO.

Silicone or Gortex to Augment Asian Nose

+3

Your professional life as a flight attendant  should not influence your selection of a silicone or Gortex implant to augment your nose. However, I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage to increase projection in  Asian noses because the graft will become incorporated into the surrounding tissue, avoiding the risk of implant movement or extrusion.

Rhinoplasty Implants

+3

Nasal implants, gortex or silicone, can work but can cause problems long term. Flying really has no bearing on the outcome or complications.  Using your own tissue, cartilage grafts being the most frequently used,  will give you the best long term results while minimizing complications.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Nasal implants are not a lifetime solution

+3

No implant will give you a lifetime solution.  Only your own cartilage will do so.  I would recommend finding a surgeon who can do this work and whom you trust, and then wait for a time in your work life when you are able to have a real correction that will last.  It's like having a baby--You can't get the pregnancy done in 3 months, no matter how busy you are.

Silicone and other implants are only easier on the day they are placed.  You deserve better.

Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Neither one!

+3

Hi,

While using a silicone or Goretex implant is a quick fix for adding height and definition in asian rhinoplasty, use of costal (rib) cartilage is a better alternative if done properly.  While cartilage use takes longer to perform and longer to heal, it does not have the same risks of infection that implants in the nose do even many years after your surgery. 

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicon or Gore-tex for flight-attendant?

+2

It depends on how long after the surgery you will be flying. Couple of weeks after will be better since there is less chance of complications such nose bleed etc. I have used hundreds of silicone implants in Asian patients with complication rate very similar to caucasian rhinoplasty. It is safe, with no donor site morbidity.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs gortex for the asian nose

+2

A lot of your choice depends on where the implant is to be placed. Both silicone and gortex work well for the dorsum but, i find gortex more user friendly. Whereas I have had to remove several silicone implants. Be aware the gortex does very poorly in the nasal tip. In any case, i don't see that you carreer is a problem,

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Best implant for fligh-attendant Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Personally I feel the safest and most-natural appearing results come from using your own tissue as grafts.  Silicone and Gore-tex implants are rarely a permanent solution because they carry risks with them regardless of how long they are in place.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Is having nasal implant affected by flight attendant job

+1

Neither implant would be affected by your flight attendant job. Though using silicon or gortex is more commonly used in Asian countries, I prefer using your own cartilage is it more naturally becomes integrated into your tissues. It also allows for more powerful improvements to the nose.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

+1

Very hard to advise as you can see from the posted answers from the previous experts. Silicone vs Gortex vs cartilage all have their benefits and complications. In your part of the world the Silicone is primarily used. Best to find a surgeon whom you trust and also take time for recovery at least 2 to 3 weeks.