Large Bridge from Childhood Injury. What Should I Do About my Nose?

When I was 2, I had broken my nose due to an accident when I was at a fair. Or so I am told. Anyway, year after year I watched the bridge of my nose become larger and larger. It hadn't bothered me till I was 14, appearance wise, but internally would be more sensitive if it were hit and leave me in excruciating pain. Sometimes I have trouble breathing out of it. What should I do? It's slightly wide, the nostril and tip are round and slightly tilted up, but the bridge has a large bump on it. I'm18.

Nasal bump with difficulty breathing

+1

Your bump, or hump, probably resulted from nasal trauma.  Given the difficulty breathing, you may require rhinoplasty with submucous resection of the nasal septum.  Rhinoplasty can improve your appearance and restore better breathing.  Since you have, in all likelihood, completed growing, this is the time to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate your nose and make a surgical recommendation. 

Treatment for wide nose after injury

+1

Dear Dizzydisarray,

You would be a great candidate for a functional rhinioplasty, which has a high satisfaction rate.  It looks like you have been thinking about this for a while and are not only unhappy with the the way it looks, but also bothered by the problems breathing.  If it bothers you enough to affect your quality of life, I think it is very reasonable to look at your options.  It is also good that you waited until you are 18 when the nose has matured.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD