Can Stitches Still be in my Nose 5 Years After Rhinoplasty?

1)I had my nose done 5 years ago by Dr.Gary Friedman in SF.He's now out of business.Since the surgery I have a big bump/growth inside of my left nostrill,it looks like cartilage but lately it's getting much bigger!What is this? 2)Also when I touch the inside of my nose kind of by the tip,I feel something short and sharp that feels like stitches.This never went away since the surgery.Why would they leave parts of the stitches in? What to do? Thanks for your help!

Stitches in the nose after rhinoplasty

+2

Both dissolvable and non-dissolvable sutures are used inside the nose during a typical rhinoplasty. Occasionally one of the non-dissolvable or permanent sutures used in the nose can work its way through the inner lining of the nose. When this takes place, the best course of action is to have a plastic surgeon remove the stitch. This can easily and safely be done in the office and the shape of the nose should not be affected. As for the "bump" inside your nose, you should have your nose examined by a rhinoplasty surgeon. It is difficult to speculate as to what this is based on the photos you have uploaded. 

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitches after Rhinoplasty?

+1

What you describe can be the leading edge of the cartilage, which can "settle" or move with time.  there may bell be a stitch that works its way out to the surface with time as well.  Often Rhinoplasty doctors will place permanent sutures to help shape the nose.  Other things can be a granuloma, although this is more rare.  Best to see a qualified, experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and have it addressed.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Stitches in the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Hey Kamila - the bump you are feeling in the nose is most likely the leading edge of one of the cartilages found in the tip of the nose - when this area is trimmed the nasal tip is thinned and if the incision site is not closed it is possible for this structure to prolapse or fall.  As the nose matures this may also happen and can even become a bit worse until it levels or completes the settle process.  I agree with others who indicate that it is not terribly uncommon for an inside nasal stitch to migrate or extrude towards the outside skin - while uncommon it is easily remedied by simply seeing your surgeon back who will remove the stitch definitively.  If your primary surgeon is no longer in your area than anyone who has experience in nasal surgery can help! 

Paul E. Kelly, MD
Hamptons Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

All the other expert posters have discussed the possible causes, I recommend seeing a rhinoplasty surgeon for removal under local anesthesia. If just a suture than no issue. If a edge of cartilage have it repaied. But if a "growth" like a pyogenic granuloma you need excision and suture and pathology. Best of luck go get this taken care of. From MIAMI 

Bump and sutures inside the nose 5 years after rhinoplasty

+1

The bump you feel and is visible in photographs is edge of the lateral cartilages and are normal after this type of surgery. The suture, if there is one, may be a permenant suture used to refine the tip cartilages. Recommend seeing a rhinoplastic surgeon for definitive diagnosis.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump Inside Nose 5 Years after Rhinoplasty

+1

Your sharp bump could be the edge of a nasal cartilage or a stitch. While we primarily  use absorbable sutures in rhinoplasty surgery, sometimes permanent stitches are buried beneath the skin and nasal lining. See a rhinoplasty surgeon who will examine you and determine the cause of the persistent, enlarging area of swelling.

+1

Unfortunately your photo is not clear enough to tell what your problem is.  The suture material that you doctor used could have been a permanent stich, which over time can poke through the mucosa.  This is not the only explanation though, and you really should be evaluated if you are feeling something sharp.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

It can be stitches or any other foreign body .Please, go and see another plastic surgeon  to look inside you nostril and take care of it.

Erel Laufer, MD

Stitches in nose after rhinoplasty.

+1

Yes, it could be but is unlikely. You need to see a rhinoplasty surgeon in your area and let him look inside your nose and see what is going on.

Post rhinoplasty

+1

The picture seems to show what might be the edge of trimmed cartilage, Sutures are unlikely to feel sharp. You should have an examination by and experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who might be able to tell you more.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon