Nose Looks Different when I Smile. 6 Weeks Post, Will This Subside?

I had closed rhinoplasty 6 weeks ago to remove a bump on my bridge. I love my new profile and I also like the way it looks from the front when I'm not smiling. When I smile, the nose doesn't really move and the nostrils just flare out. My nostrils didn't flare out when smiling before surgery. Will this subside when the swelling goes down completely? My nose doesn't look swollen but it feels hard.

Smile different

+1

This is swelling. Many of my patients complain about this early after surgery. I'm sure this is a temporary disturbing thing . Don't worry you'll be smiling soon

+1

It's not unusual for post Rhinoplasty patients to have an altered smile from swelling in the nose.  Give yourself several months for this to return to normal.  

Different Smile 6 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty

+1

The change in your smile is secondary to swelling in the base of your nose and your upper lip. The firmness you feel is also caused by the swelling, which is temporary. Ultimately you will enjoy your new nose and a normal smile.

The flaring nose

+1

Without before and after photos and photos with and without smiling, it's difficult to fully address your problem.  It is really difficult to have the problem that you mention after a closed rhinoplasty to fix only a dorsal nasal hump.  Flaring of the nostrils is something that may have drawn your attention since your dorsal hump is now gone.  True nostril flaring with smiling usually relates to procedures that involve the base of your nose, whereby the distance between the outer base of your nose and the columella has been altered.  The hardness certainly sounds like swelling and should subside over several months.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is to soon to tell at this time. Six weeks post Rhinoplasty you still have swelling and the upper lip area is still affected so it is not uncommon to fill some stiffness in movement. Likely this will dissipate shortly. Have some patience during this beginning recovery phase and see your surgeon often to help keep your mind at ease. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD