Nose Feels Out of Proportion with Face - Options?

My nose/eye area has always bothered me. I realize I have hollow eyes but that doesn't bother me as much as my nose. I have a small dorsal hump and to me it seems like it's not long enough for my face. I've always felt like my face looks somewhat masculine-and I think it's my nose. I want a much more feminine face. Any suggestions for surgery?

Facial Balance and Rhinoplasty

+1

I would recommend seeing a rhinoplasty specialist.   Have him "morph" pictures of your nose so you can see how a rhinoplasty might improve your facial balance. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can balance nose with facial features

+1

The rhinoplasty operation can certainly reduce the projection of the nose. The goals for the rhinoplasty are to feminize and refine the nasal features so that the nose fits and balances with the face so as not to be as prominent. This involves a reduction in both bone and cartilage, sculpting the new nose while preserving your ability to breathe well. All this can be done through an endonasal or closed technique under general anesthesia. A cast is applied across the nose and visible bruising and swelling lasts for approximately two weeks. Full healing takes a year after undergoing a rhinoplasty.  

VIDEO (click here): the temporary nose job: non-surgical rhinoplasty

+1

First, I believe you are being overly critical about your appearance. Having said that, it is difficult to say what will achieve YOUR desired result. Computer imaging may be useful in this regard. One relatively simple, but temporary and potentially reversible, technique would be the use of a non-surgical rhinoplasty achieved by augmenting only the tip, This would give the illusion of a more projecting tip and a relativley smaller hump. This could be used as a method for you "try out" the nose for a period of time.

Nasal proportions

+1

Your photo shows a straight dorsum, an nice angle of the nose/upper lip, and reasonable tip projection-to-nasal length ratio.  Without other views (front and 3/4 facial) it is difficult to evaluate the nasal width and possible nuances of your nose.  Your specific case may be improved with dorsal reduction to give a slight concave appearance with or without nasal bone infractures (moving the bones slightly inward).  Your tip may need little or no change.

A face to face exam will answer many of your questions.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Conservative rhinoplasty may be indicated

+1

Although it's difficult to tell from the distant photo, it appears that your nose may be slightly large and mildly out of balance with the rest of your face.  A consultation and exam with an experienced nasal surgeon would obviously be important, but if you decide to have surgery, it definitely should be a conservative procedure because your nasal dorsum seems to be relatively straight.

Roger J. Oldham, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Nose Out of Proportion With Face

+1

It is difficult to make specific recommendations on after seeing one profile picture, but minimal changes can refine a nose and achieve harmony with surrounding facial features. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to see what could be changed to meet your goals.

Need better photos

+1

It's not really clear to me why you think you have a masculine-appearing nose. Even when I magnify your photo, I cannot see a dorsal hump.  If you could re-send a front view and true profile view, I would be better able to comment. Another option is to see a rhinoplasty surgeon who can better advise you after examining what you like and dislike about your nose.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nosa and proportion

+1

If you are unahppy with the way the nose looks, you may want to consider a consultation for a rhinoplasty to improve the appearance.  I couldn't say for sure what you would benefit from without an exam.

Rhinoplasty To Enhance Your Facial Appearance

+1

Looking at your photo, I wouldn't say that your nose immediately jumps out as being excessively large. Overall you have very attractive facial features. That being said, you could choose to refine your nose to achieve an even more enhanced facial appearance. I often refer to cases like yours as 'finesse rhinoplasty' in my practice. Reducing your nasal bridge by even a few millimeters in conjunction with some tip reshaping, etc can make a nice difference for you. Given the very real risk of making your overall facial appearance worse with an unsuccessful rhinoplasty, do your homework. Seek consultation only with qualified, board certified plastic surgeons who have experience (and photos) in doing noses like yours. I wish you the best of luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reducing a dorsal hump to feminize the face

+1

In general, a convex dorsal profile on a women can contribute to a more masculine appearance, even when subtle. Furthermore, a convex dorsum makes the nose appear shorter, where as a straight or slightly sloped profile configuration can make the nose appear longer. In your case, reducing the dorsal hump in a careful and aesthetically appropriate way could give you both of the changes you are looking for.  It is a good idea to have the surgeon preform imaging to help you see how the changes will affect your overall face.  In some cases, the nose might look good, however, the affect does not make the face look more attractive.  It is important to make the changes that enhance the overall appearance.  This is the key to a good rhinoplasty. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Karam

Web reference: drkaram.com

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon