Nose Twitching 5 Months After Rhinoplasty

i am 5 months post op from a rhinoplasty and sometimes my nose twitches. if i look in a mirror i can actually see it move ( for example , i have seen spasms along the bridge or currently the left side of the tip is pulling towards the left) is this normal?

i have been manipulating alot with q-tips recently trying to get crust out but i wasnt aware that my nose could move 5 months post op...

Twitching nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

The twitching is nothing to be concerned about...the q-tip use on the inside of the nose to remove crusts however, is not a good thing.  You can create a shift in the cartilages, create a nose bleed or cause localised inflammation on the inside of the nose. 

Twitching After Rhinoplasty

+1

Twitching after a rhinoplasty can happen and generally resolves with time. I would certainly talk with your surgeon about your concerns and ask if Botox or Dysport might help in the short term.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose twitching

+1

Twitching of the nose or basically muscle spasm is uncommon but can happen.  It should get better with time. 

Nose Twitching 5 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal twitching after rhinoplasty is rare, but this will resolve. Botox injections may help suppress these contractions in the interim. Crusts are not normal 5 months after surgery. I would recommend you avoid frequently using Q-tips and consult with your surgeon. 

Nose twitching after rhinoplasty

+1

It's not very common, but the muscles on the side of the nose can twitch after rhinoplasty. This may be due to regrowth of the nerve endings into the muscle or from irritation of the nerve from swelling.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nerve stimulation after rhinoplasty

+1

While not very common, it is possible to have some twitching of the nose after a rhinoplasty procedure. If it is bothersome to you, small amounts of botox can be placed to stop the twitching until the spasms resolve on their own. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Although not common, it is not unheard of but will reside with time as residual microscopic swelling within the surrounding muscles and nerves slowly subsides over, sometimes, a year +.  Always best to check back with your original surgeon for a physical exam to make sure something else (good or bad) isn't't going on

Ryan Stanton, MD

+1

It is not common  but  rarely rhinoplasty can cause   some irritation  to the nerve filaments  or to the muscles resulting in minimal to moderate twitching.

By and large this will very often subside  at some point after the full healing of the nose.

Erel Laufer, MD

Nose twitching after Rhinoplasty

+1

There are many muscles that make up the substance of your nose and after surgery, the healing process may lead to twitching due to stimulation.  If it bothers you, Botox can be injected to paralyze the muscles and prevent the twitching.  It is best to discuss this with your surgeon.

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon