Nose Tip Swelling, When Can I Expect To See The Final Shape Of My Nose?

I had a closed rhinoplasty two weeks ago. I used to have a wide nose and doctor has performed osteotomies to narrow the bridge down. He also reduced my bulbous nasal tip. The majority of swelling has now subsided, and while I like the look of my nose bridge, the nasal tip remains quite big. Can this be attributed to swelling in this phase and when can I expect to see the final shape of the nasal tip?

Swelling in the nasal tip takes the longest to resolve

+1
After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear. Additionally, you may notice that your tip derotates and deprojects.

At 2 weeks following rhinoplasty, you are still extremely early in your recovery. Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. Around the 4-6 week mark, most patients are able to appreciate most of the changes from surgery as a significant amount of swelling has resolved. However, it can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles. Again, after 4-6 weeks, although you will continue to notice changes in your nose, they are subtle and imperceptible to most other people. It's hard but important to stay patient during your recovery and to be diligent attending your follow-up appointments with your surgeon.

Persistent tip swelling after closed rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Linda,

Unfortunately, persistent tip swelling is common in both open and closed rhinoplasties. Although, you will see suttle changes week after week, the tip of the nose will be last to completely recover. You won't see the final result until approximately a full year. In the meantime, try to forget you had surgery and enjoy life! When you least expect it - a year will have gone by! Just so you know it will feel 'woody' for months- this is completely normal!

Hope this helps! Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip will swell even with closed rhinoplasty

+1

We hear so much about stiffness and swelling of the tip with open rhinoplasty, though the same situation is seen in closed rhinoplasty as well if the tip cartilages have been altered or supported by tip grafts. The swelling and stiffness will last for several months, and should be completely gone at about one year, so hang in there for the long haul.

peterejohnsonmd