Will my Nose Tip Elevate As I Heal After Rhinoplasty?

I had an open rhinoplasty/septoplasty almost 4 weeks ago. The tip is very swollen and I know that it will take a while to go down but it looks like it is drooping more than I would like. My surgeon said he is not worried about it and that before he put the splint on my nose looked perfect. I have been using tape to try and pull the tip up, but it seems like as soon as the tape comes off the tip is drooping again. After the swelling in the tip is gone, will the tip elevate? thanks

Will the tip elevate after rhinoplasty swelling resolves?

+3

If anything, the tip tends to drop as post-surgical swelling resolves, but it can be difficult to assess this early during the recovery process. I would give it time to see how it evolves.

Nose Tip Elevation

+2

Chances are it will not,  most commonly it drops after surgery and as the swelling decreases.

Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

The magically appearing rotating and elevated nasal tip after nose job

+2

In many instances there is prolonged swelling just above the tip (supratip) area which creates the optical illusion of a downward pointing tip. AS the swelling dissipates, the nose appears to rotate or elevate upwards. This may take 6 months and sometimes even longer

Tip elevation after swelling disappears?

+2

Usually the tip does not elevate after the swelling disappears. But it may be a bit distorted by the swelling. so give it some time.

Will Nasal Tip elevate after Rhinoplasty?

+1

The answer is 'it might'. Tip rotation is commonly seen after rhinoplasty, especially when reducing the tip cartilages and the nasal dorsum. There may also be the 'optical illusion' effect of swelling above the tip, creating the appearance of the tip being 'rotated' downwards. If your surgeon feels things looked right to begin with then I would just let the healing proceed without stressing unecessarily. It may take 6 months or more for most of the swelling to abate but the chances are that you will be much happier with the result by then. Best of luck

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Tip Elevation after Rhinoplasty

+1

Normal swelling 4 weeks after rhinoplasty makes it difficult to evaluate your surgical result. Your nose will change over the next several months, but it is unlikely the tip will elevate. Good luck - hope you get what you want.

Tips Up!

+1

Swelling of the tip and just above the tip (supratip) can give the illusion of the tip drooping. However, tips usually settle down after rhinoplasty, not up--some of the more common surgical manuvers during rhinoplasty are specifically designed to support the tip to maintain projection.

If, in your case the supratip fullness is what is making the tip look droopy, often a small amount of medicine (anti-inflammatory steroid such as triamcinolone) is injected into the supratip to stop scar tissue from forming and to speed the resolution of swelling there. 

Ultimately, if the tip is too low making it look droopy still, a revision of surgery with a strut graft or permanent sutures to the underlying septum will do the trick. 

Reginald Rice, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip elevation with healing

+1

Dear rhinoplasty patient from Arkansas.  At 4 weeks post surgery most of your swelling should be resolved, with that said, I usually tell my patients that it takes 6 months for all of the swelling to go down.  I try to tell patient to not worry too much about the slight distortions until the full 6 months have passed.  Usually the tip will lose support over time a droop, but if your surgeon properly supported your tip in surgery then it should not drop any further.  There are maneuvers performed to the tip to allow it to rotate that are dependent on the forces of scar contracture and healing, so give it some time and it may rotate up as the healing process takes over.

Mark Ginsburg, DO
Media Facial Plastic Surgeon