Nose Tip Dropped More Than I Wanted After Rhinoplasty

It's been 6 months since I got my surgery and at 3 months, my nose had a perfect profile, now, my nose looks slightly longer and the middle part seems a bit elevated (the tip dropped more than I wanted it to). my question is, how much more will the nose tip drop, and is it better to take care of this early on (meaning get another surgery sooner) or should I wait until it gets worse since according to the research I've done, nose tip will drop more as years go by.

Nasal changes

+1

It is hard to say what your nose will do exactly especially because I was not the surgeon nor do I have any pictures to compare.

Wait until one year before having a tip revision

+1

Dear blahh,

The tip will drop over the first 2 years following rhinoplasty (especially if it was an open rhinoplasty), although after 1 year, it would be very acceptable to have a revision. Having the revision done earlier has two main disadvantages:

1. The nose is still changing, so you could end up needing surgery again
  2. The internal scarring is still very hard and vascular, making the surgery technically much more difficult

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Lawrence Tong, MD

Tip Drop after Rhinoplasty

+1

Wait a year to consider revision. There is no rush -  you said the nose is only "slghtly longer". Normal tip drop secondary to aging will take many years.

Drooping Tip After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Bla,

Give your nose at least a year of healing time, and then you may consider revision rhinoplasty.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nasal Tip Drop after Rhinoplasty

+1

Your best bet would be to followup with your original surgeon if you are unhappy with the outcome.  Nasal tip drop is a gradual process that may occur over the years as you age.  It is not clear what exactly was done to the tip of your nose as every rhinoplasty is different. and there could be insufficient support possibly requiring a strut graft but in the absence of photos, an examination and review of the operative report, further recommendations are not possible.

Stephen Delia, MD

Nose tip drop at 6 months after rhinoplasty.

+1

This is minor surgery to elevate the tip more. I'm sure your surgeon would want to elevate it more and 6 months is enough time to do it now unless the tip complex has not softened enough. Tip drop from aging takes decades to occur.

Tip Droop Indicates Insufficient Support

+1

Gravity effects everyones nose and over time causes the tip to droop leading to a parrot's beak or witch's nose.  After a rhinoplasty, this also can occur but it should be years before this happens and not 6 months.  Likely, this will not worsen much from here so you will want to try and decide if it bothers you enough that you would want to go through another surgery.

The place to start is with your surgeon.  Explain that you are unhappy with the appearance of the tip and ask what options you have.  Likely, you are going to need some type of strut graft to resupport the medial crura.   

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon