Nose Tip Deviated After Rhinoplasty. Is It OK to Apply Pressure to Correct It?

I am 1 month past rhinoplasty/septoplasty. As I am healing my tip looks more curved outbound on one side than the other. My surgeon told me today I can start applying mild pressure on the tip to help reduce the curve. I know touching the tip is not a good idea, but he said it is ok at this time. Any tips?

Nasal exercises to correct tip deviation and asymmetry

+1

You should listen to your surgeon as that is who has the best idea of your nose and what should be done. It's not uncommon to have patients do postoperative exercises like this. In some cases the idea is to mainly improve asymmetric skin swelling and in other cases the goal is to modify the nasal bone position before the bones reset fully.

Deviated tip and pushing

+1

Sorry, but I do not think that pushing on the nose at this point will do anything.  Best to let the swelling go down on its own and re-evaluate in 6 months to a year.

Tip Deviated after Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear ng3360a, At one month post rhinoplasty it is important to follow your surgeons directions. As outside surgeons we do not have the knowledge from a direct examination to tell you anything otherwise. So from here we must speak from experience, and with this said, there are nasal exercises that may be done during the healing process which typically have you apply even mild pressure with both index fingers at the base of the nose to the tip but certainly not pressure directly on the tip. Make sure you understand your surgeons directions and have he/she show you several times how  the exercises should be done and the exact amount of pressure to be applied. Hopefully this will help alleviate any concerns. Time is on your side and you are in the early stages of recovery where slight  asymmetries may be apparent . Best regards, Michael v. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD