Nose Tip Falling Back to Old Position?

Will my nose tip fall to its original position after going back to boxing? I had cartilage inserted to raise my nose tip to a more natural position. So I am waiting around 6 months to a year to start fighting again. Usually in almost every fight, which is like 3 times per week, I tend to get hit in the nose. Will my nose tip fall again to its original position if I get hit in the nose after it heals? Some plastic surgeons told me no; but some said yes.

Boxing and Nasal Surgery

Even if you wait for many years after your surgery to resume boxing, odds are you will do additional damage to your nose. How many boxers do you know with a great looking nose?  Wait until you're a retired boxer to get the inevitable revision rhinoplasty you will need.

It is best not to have any tauma to the nose.

Repeated trauma to nose will cause recurrent inflammation of the cartilage and thus remodeling and deformity of the cartilage.  It you continue boxing you will be at a higher chance of nasal deformity.

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why take a new car to a demolition derby?

My first reaction to your question was, "Why in the world would anyone invest the time and suffering in a nasal reconstructive procedure, only to have it bashed up again?" I think it's a bit like taking a new car to a demolition derby. ;-)

While indeed the new nose can be structurally stronger (from fixation of cartilage grafts with permanent sutures), it's not indestructible--not even close. Having someone put his fist in your face is asking for trouble. Google "pugilist's nose" to see what I mean.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon