Nose Tip Falling Back to Old Position?

Will my nose tip fall to its original position after going back to boxing? I had cartilage inserted to raise my nose tip to a more natural position. So I am waiting around 6 months to a year to start fighting again. Usually in almost every fight, which is like 3 times per week, I tend to get hit in the nose. Will my nose tip fall again to its original position if I get hit in the nose after it heals? Some plastic surgeons told me no; but some said yes.

Boxing and Nasal Surgery

+2

Even if you wait for many years after your surgery to resume boxing, odds are you will do additional damage to your nose. How many boxers do you know with a great looking nose?  Wait until you're a retired boxer to get the inevitable revision rhinoplasty you will need.

It is best not to have any tauma to the nose.

+1

Repeated trauma to nose will cause recurrent inflammation of the cartilage and thus remodeling and deformity of the cartilage.  It you continue boxing you will be at a higher chance of nasal deformity.

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why take a new car to a demolition derby?

+1

My first reaction to your question was, "Why in the world would anyone invest the time and suffering in a nasal reconstructive procedure, only to have it bashed up again?" I think it's a bit like taking a new car to a demolition derby. ;-)

While indeed the new nose can be structurally stronger (from fixation of cartilage grafts with permanent sutures), it's not indestructible--not even close. Having someone put his fist in your face is asking for trouble. Google "pugilist's nose" to see what I mean.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon