Nose Swelling 7 Months Post Op Rhinoplasty

for the past three or four months i have been home and have used LOTS of q-tips to clean the inside of the nose that is always full of snots. unfortunately, in the past week or so my nose has had sudden pains in the tip area with burning nostrils at times and seems to be more inflated than when the cast was removed, it seems to have gotten bigger and more swollen. Is this my imagination or could i be causing damage to the noses appearance. Is this swelling temporary, permanent or imaginated

Nose swelling 7 months after rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for your question. The normal swelling that accompanies rhinoplasty is mostly resolved by 7 months. At this point, it is abnormal to have excessive swelling and pain - which may be signs of infection. You should see your surgeon to have an examination. I would not advise using qtips to attempt to clean the nose.  Especially when done postoperatively, it can lead to more crusting, infection, chronic inflammation, and/or scar tissue formation. Good luck.

Nasal Swelling 7 Months after Rhinoplasty

+2

First of all, stop using Q-tips to clean your nostrils. Pain, increasing swelling and discharge, as well as burning may indicate that you have an infection or intra-nasal abrasions. See your surgeon for evaluation and treatment.

Swelling should be improving

+2

Swelling seven months after a rhinoplasty should be minimal and should be improving, not getting worse.  Significant swelling that far our from surgery with increasing discharge from inside the nostrils may indicate a developing infection.  If this is the case you should see your surgeon soon for evaluation and possible treatment.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

+2

You should have been warned not to use Q-tips inside your nose ever. You could have cause abrasion and inflammation or infection. Not a permanent damage but please see your surgeon soon.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling of nose

+2

At seven months after rhinoplasty, your swelling should be almost completely gone. As for pain, that is worrisome, and you certainly do not want an infection.  I would suggest contacting your surgeon to be evaluated.

+1

The burning on the inside of your nose may be related to the continued use of Q-tips on the nose which IMHO should be discontinued.

Swelling 7 months post Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling should continue to dissipate with time.  Noses after rhinoplasty have been known to be swollen a year after surgery.  What is unique in your case is your use of Q tips up your nose, and your description of increased discharge and swelling.  Please stop the use of Q tips, and see your rhinoplasty surgeon to get checked out.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Nose swelling at 7 months

+1

Swelling at 7 months can be caused by a few things but only your rhinoplasty surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this

Sam Naficy, MD