Nose Surgery Incisions - Infection 1 Year Post-op?

I had a close rhinoplasty about 3-4 years ago i didnt like the results so i had a rivision last year in august which didn't change anything either except that the surgeon reduced the size of my nostrils. my question is that, its been over a year but is there a possibility to get the incision infection. every now and then the crease of my nose right where the incisions are gets swollen, turns red and gets very painful like if there's a pimple but i dont see anything.it goes away after a week.HELP

Infection 1 Year after Rhinoplasty

+1

Recurrent, temporary infection is unlikely. As others have said, this is probably a suture reaction. Have your surgeon examine you, preferably when swollen.

Rhinoplasty red bump

+1

You may be developing a tissue reaction due to a retained or permanent suture or cartilage graft.  I would have the area examined by a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty infection

+1

Sometimes there are permanent sutures used even in alar rim procedures. This may be the cause of your problems or it could be something else. The best thing to do is have ane xam with your doctor.

Nose scar redness and swelling 1 year after surgery: what is it?

+1

Unless your surgeon used permanent sutures beneath the surface of the skin (very unlikely), the redness and swelling "like a pimple" is probably exactly that. Scar tissue sometimes blocks pores (hair follicle and sweat gland openings), and the natural skin lubricant (sebum) is trapped, causing a tiny sebaceous cyst or epidermal inclusion cyst, sometimes called a pimple. If these small cysts are drained by puncture, the cells that produce the sebum remain, the exit site pucture heals, and the pimple recurs! Removal of the sac (even if it's tiny) is required to assure it won't come back. Occasionally, if a pimple or cyst is infected (usually by picking or squeezing), the infection can kill the cells that produce the sebum, and once healed, the pimple is gone permanently. It's best to not let even an infected pimple get that bad! Antibiotics alone will not remove the cells; neither does steroid injection (presumably to reduce inflammation) definitively solve the problem. See your rhinoplasty surgeon if this persists.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty infection after 1 year

+1

It is possible that there is a suture that is causing some irritation and possibly even a low grade infection where the surgery had been performed.

Generlly speaking, it is unusual to see infections this far out from a surgery, however if a suture is "spitting" and poking through the skin, bacteria could be intriduced into the site and a low grade infection is possible.

One of the things you probrblay should do is send a photo to your surgeon and have them take a look at it to see if anything further needs evaluation.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon