What Nose Surgery Combination is Best for African American Nose?

Nose reshaping / septal deviation correction - I want to make my nose smaller. I read an ad that offered the following:
1. Nose reshaping / septal deviation correction
2. Nose reshaping and implant or
3. Nose hump saddle nose correction
4. Nose tip plasty
5. Nose bridge augmentation nose lift

Which is for me? I'm African American with a round nose, I want the same nose shape but with smaller width/horizonal and the tip smaller? I do want to change the design some what, by 25%. Thanks.

Surgery combination varies with each nose

+1

It is very difficult to discern from the picture about what type of rhinoplasty to perform. All five views need to be in focus and closer up before final analysis can be performed. Certainly, augmentation of the bridge can be performed with septal cartilage, and an alarplasty could be performed to reduce the size of the nostrils. Minor refinement of the tip could be performed as well.

Forget the name of the procedure and go to a good, experienced surgeon.

+1

The key to a good result in your nose is to go to an experienced ethnic rhinoplasty surgeon. He should have goals and before and after pictures similar to what you want. You only need refinement--not a whole different nose!!

The answer may be all of the above

+1

It sounds as if all of these approaches may be a possibility for your nose.  Ethnic Rhinoplasty can have many variations on the theme and your goals might be very different than someone else.  Be sure you choose a surgeon who has tons of experience with Rhinoplasty!

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Each Rhinoplasty Is Unique

+1

For the nose to appear natural, it must be in balance and harmony with the other facial features. Thus, each rhinoplasty patient is unique and the approach should be individualized for every patient.

That being said, it is possible to narrow the nostril base by removing wedges of tissue where your nostril meets your cheek. This is called an alar base excision, and when it is performed correctly, the scars are hidden in the crease formed by where your nostril sidewalls meet your cheeks.

It is possible to make the nose (tip) smaller while maintaining the overall shape of the nose provided that doing so does not make the nose unproportional.

Look for a surgeon who specializes in ethnic rhinoplasty. Visit with more than one until you find one that you feel comfortable with and one who understands your goals and desires.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon