Nose Straightening During Septoplasty?

Can any slight nose-straightening be done during Septoplasty, or is that strictly Rhinoplasty?

Combining septoplasty and rhinoplasty

+2

Septoplasty is performed to remove deviated portions of the central septal cartilage, which is anatomically straight at birth.  Rhinoplasty addresses elements of the septum, bone, and cartilage to affect a change in the cosmetic contour of the nose.  Both procedures can be performed and at once.  Every septoplasty and rhinoplasty should be designed and planned differently to match your desires. 

Web reference: http://www.karemd.com

Septoplasty straightens the nasal septum

+2

Operating on the nasal septum is not the best approach to make the nose appear straight externally (to the naked eye).  A Septoplasty is very good at improving the breathing, by straightening the nasal septum.

Web reference: http://purefacialaesthetics.com

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty can straighten some parts of the nose

+1

Good question. A septoplasty can straighten some parts of the nose that are visible from the outside and may be necessary to have a succesful cosmetic rhinoplasty.  Usually we think of a rhinoplasty as correcting the outside appearance and a septoplasty to correct the inside breathing.  There is an old saying" as the septum goes- so goes the nose"  This means that correcting a septal deformity may be necessary in order to have a succesful rhinoplasty. After having done about a 1.000 nasal surgeries it is important to recognize that fact.

Good luck.

Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty

+1

Septoplasty is a medically necessary procedure to remove deviated portions of the septum. To straighten the nose, would be deemed a cosmetic procedure.  It is possible to combine the two procedures.

Septoplasty, Rhinoplasty, Septorhinoplasty

+1

Dear RandomNick,
Nomenclature in medicine looks confusing but is often quite simple.  The suffix "-plasty" is from Greek and means to mold or shape.  So:

• Septo-plasty - Altering / changing the shape of the nasal septum (internal deviation causing airflow problems - generally no external changes are visible)
  • Rhino-plasty - Changing the shape of the external nose (rhino)
  • Septo-rhino-plasty - changing both the septum and external nose at the same time

A pure septoplasty is very unlikely to cause any noticeable external changes to the nose, even though septal deviation can lead to an externally crooked nose.  When septal deviation is the cause of external deviation, a "pure" rhinoplasty will not successfully correct the deviation, and a combined septorhinoplasty will be necessary.
Dr.B

Web reference: http://www.drmichaelbogdan.com/plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty.cfm

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty can be performed in the same procedure

+1
While septoplasty can improve breathing, to change the shape of the nose, a rhinoplasty would be necessary. Although insurance companies with cover septoplasty or sub mucous resection, rhinoplasty is strictly cosmetic.

Nose straightening surgery

+1

The septum is the internal centerboard of the nose. If it is curved from trauma or birth, it can be straightened with a septoplasty. The curve in the septum does not always appear curved just looking at the external nose. If it does appear curved because of the curve of the septum, then repairing the septum (septioplasty) will correct it, assuming all goes well. The other exrternal appearances of the nose: width, tip projection, shape of nose, etc. will require a rhinoplasty.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Jon I Sattler, MD, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California

Glendora Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty

+1

A rhinoplasty can most definitely be done at the same time as a Septoplasty. In fact I do it all the time. Since a Septoplasty can cause breathing problems, it is almost always covered by insurance,  a rhinoplasty, on the other hand, almost never is. Your surgeon will bill your insurance for the Septoplasty only, and you will be responsible for the cosmetic portion.

Septoplasty usually does not correct crooked nose

+1

A septoplasty is a surgery that straightens the internal nasal septum through removing or straightening deviated segments. This all occurs inside the nose, and nothing is done to the dorsum (bridge) of the nose. For patients who have a crooked nose, this can be due to a number of factors. The septum is only one potential cause of a crooked nose. I have very rarely seen that a nose will appear straighter following a septoplasty; straightening a nose usually requires a septorhinoplasty. For patients with crooked noses, I offer a septorhinoplasty to achieve the best result.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose straightening with septoplasty alone

+1

A septoplasty can absolutely result in some slight straightening of the nose. It completely depends on whether the deviated septum is the primary cause of the external deviation.  There are certainly many other factors that influence the "straightness" of the nose.  A residual septal deviation is one of the most common problems I encounter when evaluating patients for revision rhinoplasty. 

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon