Nose is Still Meaty and Nostrils Are Obviously Asymmetric After Rhinoplasty?

I had a meaty nose, esp below the bridge and had difficulty in breathing because of distortion in the nasal septum (although it was not visible). I had rhinoseptoplasty 4 weeks ago. The tip is still too round.. Moreover, nostrils are obviously asymmetric, right nostril is higher than the left one. My surgeon says that all these are because of swelling and asymmetry will not be visible when swelling resolves. Still I am afraid, what if it won't?.. How long do I have to live with it?..

Meaty Nose with Asymmetric Nostrils

+1

Is is difficult to evaluate you nose just one month after surgery, especially in a patient with thick skin. The swelling may also cause the nostril asymmetry you describe. Be patient for the next 9-12 months and continue to talk to your surgeon.

Post-rhinoplasty expectations

+1

At 4 weeks after surgery, your nose will be very swollen. There may be asymmetric swelling and you have to give it time to settle down.

Rhinoplasty and asymmetry

+1
It is common to have swelling in the post operative phase you are in. The tip is typically the last place where the swelling dissipates. Nostril asymmetry may change during the next few months. I would not consider revision rhinoplasty for at least six months to a year until all of your swelling is gone and then further evaluation and a proper diagnosis may be made. If you would like to send a photograph to my website I would be happy to add further expert opinion. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

If nose does not look good one month after rhinoplasty, you will not be happy.

+1

Hi.

Of course do not do anything for six months, but it sounds like eventually you will need a revision.  See two other plastic surgeons.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)