Nose Still Deviated and Uneven 6 Months After Tip & Septoplasty to Correct It? (photo)

My septum was deviated and visible from my left nostril + I had excess cartilage protruding on the left side. At my first check up the surgeon assured me this was due to swelling and would improve over time but at yesterday's check up she told me it was due to "skin memory" and nothing more could be done to improve the shape. Given my overall bad experience with the practice I don't know if I can trust this diagnosis and would be grateful for a professional opinion. Thanks!

Nose still deviated post-rhinoplasty

+2

I disagree with your surgeon's assessment that nothing more can be done. I would recommend waiting until you are a full year out from your surgery. At that time, an open rhinoplasty with precise tip modification with internal stitches and dome resection could give a very acceptable revision result.

Of course, the best course of action is determined via an in-person consultation. Therefore, I advise you to begin by meeting with several highly qualified plastic surgeons in your area.

Good Luck,

Dr. A

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

+2

Your posted photo shows the deviation you describe without a pre-surgery photo or knowing exactly what was done at your surgery it is difficult to comment on the specifics. Skin memory has nothing to do with it. The cartilage has memory and it can be difficult to maintain it in a straight position. If you fold your down for a day then release it it will return to its original position. That is cartilage memory in action.

The question is what do you do now. The first thing is to wait sufficient time for all of the internal swelling to resolve. Then address the bone and cartilage deviations using a variety of possible techniques such as crushed cartilage grafts for camouflage, osteotomies to realign the bones, cartilage shaping sutures to straighten, reshape and realign cartilage... You will need to meet with a few different surgeons before going ahead with any revision surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Nose Deviated 6 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

You do have deviation of your nose with asymmetry and increased width of your  tip and nasal base. You will need a revision to improve the appearance of your nose, but wait another 3-4 months before having surgery. If you no longer have confidence in your surgeon get a second opinion.

Deviated nose after rhinoplasty.

+1

Yes some noses that have deviated cartilage want to return to that side.  A revision  should not only try to correct this but trim your tip cartilage onthe left which appears larger than the right giving the appearance of deviation.  See an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Deviated septum

+1

Cartilage can be difficult to reshape.  It has a natural tendency to return to its native position.  There are several techniques to improve problems like what you are describing but it's hard to tell from the photo you provided.  I would take several up close pictures and one showing the area in question so you can get more accurate answers.  Best of luck, Dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS