Nose Too Small and Nostrils Too Big After Rhinoplasty. Is it Swelling? When Will it go Down? (photo)

9 days post-op, my nose looks too small & my nostrils too big. If once the swelling goes down i have sharp defined lines, i may just about be okay, but pre-op my nose was large with thick skin. He also broke the bone & i have swelling between the eyes, which makes my nose look much worse. In the photos the size looks okay, but in life beyond the nostrils it very small & the tip is lifted/piggish. Will my nose shrink to bring definition? How long before the swelling between the eyes goes down?

Nose Dimensions After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear M27,

Thank you for uploading your photographs.

At 9 days post op, it is too early to judge your results. Not until 5-7 months that you would be at 70-80% recovered on average (but every patient is different).

You have to be a little more patient and make sure you do not expose your nose to any risky situation resulting in a possible trauma.

Thank you for your inquiry and best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Rhinoplasty

+1

Having the procedure only nine days ago would be indicative to swelling. It will take time for the swelling to dissipate over the next several months. I would wait at least 8-12 months before really critiquing it.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Results 9 Days After a Rhinoplasty

+1

Three things.

1. As everyone else has said, nine days after a rhinoplasty is nothing. Be patient. This is a 6-12 month proccess. Time is your friend.

2. Even though it is a 6-12 month process you will be surprised how much better you will look in the next few weeks.

3. A good result is all about perspective. Its not just what the nose looks like, but how it looks against the other features on your face. Swelling completely obscures the relationship of the nose with the rest of your features and as the swelling decreases the nose will start to "fit" better on your face.Hang in there, it's going to get better.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9 Days post operative from rhinoplasty

+1

9 days post operative from a Rhinoplasty is too soon to predict the final outcome. Continue following your surgeons instructions for the present time, and allow yourself adequate time to heal before worrying about your final results.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Relax

+1

You are NINE DAYS out from your rhinoplasty.  Give it a rest.  Keep your head elevated and trust the process.  You have thicker soft tissues and they act like a sponge.  The swelling will go down slowly.  Nobody can tell you how fast.  Trust the process.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Nostrils too big and nose too small 9 days after surgery

+1

I will completely agree with the surgeons in the forum that there seems to be a communication gap and this is not the time to make any kind of assessment of the result.Nose continues to change shape up to one year.

You seem to have large nostrils pre- operatively that perhaps need to be reduced by Alar trimming from inside the nose after one year.I normally mention this to my patients before surgery during consultation.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Questions about rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your questions and the photos. I will joint the other surgeons in this forum and say you should wait. Your results so far are good. It is important also to address your concerns to your plastic surgeon.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

9 days after rhinoplassty surgery

+1

After 9 days, the nose is probably maximally swollen. You have to give it several months for things to settle down a bit before worrying too much.  Good luck.

Nose Too Small and Nostrils Too Big After Rhinoplasty. Is it Swelling? When Will it go Down?

+1

Photos show a very nice early result. But if you are so unhappy so soon than the issue is the pre operative informed discussions between you and your chosen surgeon had a " breakdown" somewhere. Plus so very very early (ONLY 9 days) to be so disatisfied. At least allow 3 months of healing before making any decisions. 

Nasal Appearance 9 Days after Rhinoplasty

+1

If I could provide the final result 9 days after rhinoplasty surgery I would not live in California, I'd own it. Please be patient for another 6-12 months to critique your nasal appearance. Your nose will change significantly over the next 2-3 months.