I Want a More Proportional Nose, What Options do I Have? (photo)

I heard that in average a male nose sticks out 2.5 cm out of his face and has a lenght of 5.8 cm. My nose sticks out 3 cm and has a lenght of 4.5 cm So my problem is not with the length of it but rather the part that "sticks out". I also have a bump. Is that causing it to be larger? And if my nose is big than what can be done so has a straight bridge and is smaller in general? Note:I do not wish any sort of non-permanent treatment.I also am 15 and i know that i have to wait until i am 17 atleast

Proper nasal proportions

+2

While average dimensions are helpful for characterizing populations of noses, they're a lot less important when dealing with an individual patient who's considering rhinoplasty. What's important is determining what nasal shape best complements that specific patient's features. Pro-operative planning, often with computer imaging, can help one visualize what needs to be done and what is possible to do. Projection (how far out the nose sticks), rotation (how tipped up or down the tip is), dorsal profile, etc. can all be altered according to the patient's goals within the limits of their anatomy (e.g., skin thickness, mid-face length, facial convexity, etc.).

Generally speaking, your concerns are best addressed through an open rhinoplasty surgery. You're right, though, about waiting until you're a few years older.

--DCP

PearsonFacialPlasticSurgery.com

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers are an excellent way to make the nose more proportional

+1

I really like the fact that you've said you want a "more proportional nose", instead of a "smaller nose".  It's all about the shape and proportions.  Your nose looks pretty for a guy.  Although you've stated you don't want a non-permanent treatment, you should consider placing fillers above your bump.

Adding to your nose will make the shape stronger and more masculine.  You can add to your nose surgically, harvesting some cartilage from your septum and/or ear.  You can also have fillers placed in the office. 

Three reasons why you should strongly consider the non-surgical method:

1. You'll have an idea of what it looks like. (This is your face and is very important.)
  2. You don't have the morbidity of having the cartilage taken from your nose and ear. (Which does have both side effects and risks.)
  3. Because of the way fillers are placed, an expert may actually contour your nose more precisely than is possible using cartilage grafts.

I personally have used fillers to augment my nasal bridge and much of the effects build up over time.  If you really want a long lasting treatment, there are permanent fillers such as Artefill currently and will likely be others in the future.

Good luck in your search for information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Low radix

+1

You nose has a low radix, such as the one shown in the link below.  This can be improved with rhinoplasty and will make the nose longer but more masculine

Sam Naficy, MD

Rhinoplasty Proportions

+1

You quote "average" measurements which are interesting but they have nothing to do with what should be done to improve your nose. Rhinoplasty is a very individualized procedure; in 35 years I've never done 2 noses exactly the same. Full face pictures would be helpful because the nose must be in proportion to the surrounding facial features. All I can say is that reducing the bridge line would be appropriate.