Nose - Would You Have Used Silicone?

I had to undergo a revision rhinoplasty as my first doctor basically left me with no nose. I have no septum or cartilage left. The doctor who did the revision chose to use silicone to give my nose height, length and some projection. My nose was piggish and bulbous with exposed nostrils. It has been 5 weeks now and it does look better but still feel it is bulbous and a bit piggish. Nostrils are exposed but not as much. Could he have done a better job with rib and ear cartilage? Is silicone bad?

Silicone to lengthen nose

+1

Although silicone is a decent dorsal implant in thick skin patients it does not allow for grafting of the tip or alae like cartilage does - rib graft is my first choice when significant nasal augmentation is needed

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Using silicone for revision rhinoplasty

+1

I prefer using a patient's own cartilage (septum, ear, rib) for rhinoplasty surgery. Some surgeons so use silicone implants with good results, though.

Being only 5 weeks from surgery I would expect there to be a bit of swelling and tip rotation that should settle. It will take time to see your final result. With revision procedures it is usually at least 1 year, if not longer.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

"Nose - Would You Have Used Silicone?

I had to undergo a revision rhinoplasty as my first doctor basically left me with no nose. I have no septum or cartilage left. The doctor who did the revision chose to use silicone to give my nose height, length and some projection. My nose was piggish and bulbous with exposed nostrils. It has been 5 weeks now and it does look better but still feel it is bulbous and a bit piggish. Nostrils are exposed but not as much. Could he have done a better job with rib and ear cartilage? Is silicone bad?"

Would love to have seen a picture before surgery to give you my thoughts. I am not a fan of silicone and have taken too many out to ever use them. I am a huge fan though of rib cartilage and a temporalis fascia graft. Too early to do anything now though....would actually wait for a full year or so before revisiting any additional surgery (but hope you will never need it!)

Good Luck!

Dr. C

johnconnorsmd.com

Silicone Implants in Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Although I am not a fan of silicone implants, many surgeons do utilize silicone without complication.  I much prefer to use autologous (material from your body) materials for nasal augmentation and grafting.  From your explanation, it seems that a lot of material was necessary in order to rebuild your nasal framework back to normal.  In these revision situations I suggest rib cartilage and temporalis fascia for implant and grafting purposes.  These materials are not subject to rejection by the body, and produce excellent results.  Since you are only 5 weeks postop I would suggest just waiting for all the swelling to calm down before judging the results.  At one year postop you will be able to truly see what the final appearance of your nose will be, and a that point can opt for revision if necessary.  Good Luck....Dr. Corrado 

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would I Have used Silicone in Revising your Nose?

+1

I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage in augmentation revision rhinoplasty. However, many excellent surgeons do use silicone implantsand achieve consistent results. Normal post-op swelling can temporarily make a nose look piggish and bulbous, especially after revision surgery.

Silicone for Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Silicone is a great implant if it is used properly. Its very difficult to make any judgments about your nose without seeing it. However, along with a silicone implant, there are other procedures you should have had to improve the appearance of your nose. Silicone alone is not enough.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.africanamericanrhinoplasty.com

Silicone nasal implant

+1

Your particular surgeon probably did his very best for you. If you needed the whole nose projected from the face, a propery chosen and trimmed preformed silastic implant is hard to beat. At least in my opinion. Once 6-12 months have passed little change in appearance should occur. The implant however may become mobile to the touch. Cartilage is excellent material but it has it's downsides. If you are to use cartilage harvested from your own body, it requires an ancillary or additional operation ton harvest it. Then it takes specific skills and experience in carving it. This all takes additional time with costs being about $1000/hour for operating costs. Many of these operations take 4 hours or longer even in the most skilled of hands. In summary, you need to wait for further healing and be sure to have follow up with your surgeon.

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon