Nose Shorter After Septorhinoplasty?

I had a septorhinoplasty 3 weeks ago and my nose appears shorter and flat at the base. My nose tip used to droop slightly (which I didn't ask to be changed). Now it looks as though I have a retracted columella. Is it possible that shortening of the septum has caused this?

Nasal shortening and retracted columella following rhinoplasty.

+1

Indeed rhinoplasty can result in up-rotation of the tip, shortening of nasal length (distance from nasion to the tip-defining points) and columellar retraction.  Wait several months and compare photos at that time with photos taken with the same lighting and equipment as preop.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septum height and length can affect nose shape and appearance

+1

Hello Lilly,

Thank you for the question.  If you have before and after photos I would upload them as they will be very helpful.  The septum is an important part of the nose shape and appearance.  A septum that has been cut too short will affect the columella and the base of the nose.  I would have a discussion with your plastic surgeon about this.  When all of the swelling is gone you and your plastic surgeon can decide on the best course of action.   It sounds like you may need a columella strut.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: http://drrepta.com

Nose Shorter After Septorhinoplasty?

+1

Dear Lilly,

thank you for your question.  Certainly if the septum is cut shorter at the base, it can bring the columella in.  You are still swollen from surgery.  If you are unhappy with the results 6 -12 months from now, then a revision can be considered.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon