Can My Nose With Bump Be Shortened? What Is The Technique?

I wanted to know if the nose can be shortened and what is the determining factor to how much it can be shortened. Is there usually complication with it or is it easy? I haven't seen many before and afters of shortened noses on people with bumps. Usually those people have long noses too. The doctors seem to ignore their long nose and only take care of the bump. The people are left with freaky long noses!

Can my nose be shortened?

+1

I don't know, if it would be aesthetically appropriate to shorten your nose since there are no picture of your nose.  Short or long noses refer to the angle of tip rotation compared to the upper lip on profile.  Normal angles of tip rotation for men are 105-110 degrees and 105-115 degrees for women.  There are multiple methods for rotating the tip up, during Rhinoplasty and yes there are limits based on the angle your nose starts out and the aesthetic guidelines listed above. 

Rhinooplasty and shortening nose

+1

You have to be a biut more specific and that is why a consult is essential to figure out what you need.  A bump can certainly be taken down, and a nose can be shortened by deconstructing the nasal tip( if that is what you mean).

Rhinoplasty can shorten a long nose

+1

Rhinoplasty can shorten a long nose, raise the tip, and reduce a nasal hump. If you do find pictures of what you don't like, the information can help with planning your rhinoplasty, and hopefully lead to a result you do.

peterejohnsonmd

Rhinoplasty for the long nose with bump.

+1
You must not have seen good work since it is quite easy to do both and have an excellent result--keep looking for experienced rhinoplasty surgeons.

Rhinoplasty techniques vary from patient to patient

+1

There a variety of techniques used during rhinoplasty to shorten the nose.  What technique is best for you can only be determined by examination by a competent rhinoplasty surgeon.  Be sure to see a lot of before and after pictures to get a feel for the quality of the surgeons work.  Board Certification by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery is advisable, as they have spent their entire career focused on nasal surgery.  Good Luck.

Warmest regards,

Dr. Pippin

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for long nose

+1

All elements that are out of proportion should be treated during primary rhinoplasty.  Make sure your surgeon knows what your goals are are choose a surgeon who can show you lots of pre- and post-op pictures of his/her own work.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

The nose can be shortened with rhinoplasty

+1
The nose may and usually is shortened with rhinoplasty surgery. It is important that each patients features and anatomy are taken into consideration when performing a rhinoplasty. You do not want to over shorten a patients nose and then have asymmetry in their facial proportions leading to an unnatural appearance. You want your nose to be aesthetically pleasing and in complete harmony with your face. During the consulting phase I use a digital imaging computer which allows me to show the patient their proposed surgical results prior to the procedure. This allows me to show the patient what I feel is possible with their procedure and allow them to see what I think would be aesthetically pleasing with their bone structure. The ski jump result you are discussing where just the bump is taken down and the nose is left to long is not an aesthetically pleasing result and a good rhinoplasty surgeon will address these issues with you during consultation.

Michael Elam, MD