Does the Nose Shape Go Back to Its Original Form After a Nose Job?

It is generally stated that a nose job is a permanent surgery procedure. However, I have heard that it is possible for your nose to go back to its original shape over years. Considering that, to my knowledge, the cartilage is 70% water; this makes sense. Is there any truth to this?

I have also included my photo. I would like to decrease the width of my nose and make the tip more defined so it'll look more natural. I'm guessing that in my case, it would probably require a specialist. Please get back to me. Thank you.

In general, rhinoplasty results are permanent

+2

Hi there,

Your comments about the composition of the nose and cartilage are true, however, the structural changes that occur to the bones, cartilage and soft tissue of the nose in a rhinoplasty are quite permanent. It is very unlikely that a nose will "return" to its previous configuration without surgical re-manipulation and grafting of tissue and material to add to what has been trimmed. These tissues simply do not expand or grow back. And so, for all effective purposes, results from rhinoplasty are permanent.

You are observant to note that your nose is a bit wide for your face, and that some tip definition would be aesthetically desireable. Surgery to address these issues would involve reshaping the bones and cartilage that make up the bridge of your nose, as well as trimming and repositioning the cartilage that make up your tip. These changes would be permanent for you.

I hope this helpful I wish you the best!

Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Nose does not go back to pre-operative form

+1

The nose does not go back to its original form after rhinoplasty surgery. It does take the shape of the new nose that was created at the time of the surgery. There is no truth to the fact that the cartilage goes back to its original shape. It is possible to decrease the width of the nose and the tip of the nose to have more refinement and still look natural.

Rhinoplasty Should Be A "One-Time" Operation

+1

The goal of any rhinoplasty (nose job) surgery is to produce a nose that both looks good and functions well. If performed correctly, then the nose should not return back to its original form.

While there is a 5-20% revision rate, a rhinoplasty should only have to be performed once. Look for a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty. This will decrease the chances that you would require a revision.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon