The final results from a rhinoplasty take time to become apparent. The nose undergoes significant changes in the first 2 to 12 weeks following rhinoplasty. The swelling gradually dissipates over the first several months and thus the appearance of the nose changes gradually.
* When the cast is removed after one week, the nose will look swollen.
* Usually by the end of the second week, the swelling and bruising have subsided enough that the casual observer will not readily notice that the nose has been operated on. Usually the nose will look large to the patient at this point.
* To the patient, the nose will look swollen or "puffy" for several months.
* By about 3-4 months, the majority of the swelling will be gone but will look larger in photographs.
* It can take as long as a year for the final shape to become apparent
If you have any questions as to whether your nose is healing at the appropriate rate, schedule a follow-up appointment with your surgeon.