Can my Nose Be Revised? I Want a Wider Bridge Again!

I had surgery about a week ago and the doctor thinned out my nose too much (which I was afraid he would do). I asked to see pics of his work and he said he didn't have them because his patients demanded privacy. I am so disappointed. What can I do to minimized the 'carved out' appearance of my new nose?

Thinned nose can be made wider

+2

You are only one week after surgery, so it is too early to diagnosis all of your issues.  Allow swelling to dissipate for 7-14 months.  Afterward, if you feel you need a revision, then certainly the nose can be made wider.  If not with your primary surgeon, you can seek the care of someone who specializes in revision rhinoplasty, which is more demanding than primary rhinoplasty.  I would be happy to show you during an in-person consultation many before-after photos of patients who had overly narrow noses made wider and more natural appearing.  You can also speak to reference patients as well in the Pennsylvania area.  In the meantime, stay busy with other things, and realize that a nose does not define a whole person and that things in life could definitely be worse.  Good luck!

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

One week is still very soon after your surgery.  The final results of a rhinoplasty are not evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling will resolve after the first 3 months, and the remainder of the swelling will go down over time. It is important to be patient during the healing process. It would be best to wait up to one year prior to considering having any revision work performed.  The amount of time necessary to wait depends on what you had performed during your initial surgery. Thank you, and I hope this helps.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Carved out nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

It's very early after your Rhinoplasty to be evaluating the results but in any case, pictures would be helpful in making any evaluation, of your nose at this point.  You should express your concern with your Rhinoplasty surgeon.  Perhaps, there's a reasonable explanation for what your are seeing at 1 week post op.

Revision to widen narrow bridge

+1

Yes, a narrow bridge can be widened, however, one week post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery and ideally you should wait about one year before seeking a revision.  There are a number of good reasons for this which your surgeon can discuss with you.

Sam Naficy, MD

Rhinoplasty Results and Recovery

+1

Hello, I have read your comments and appreciate your concerns.  As stated previously, you are only a week out from you procedure.  You will need to allow the swelling to resolve and the nose to "mature" over the course of the next 9-12 months.  After satisfactory time has elapsed for normal healing, then the aesthetics of your nose can be truly judged.  If you have an overly "scooped" or "carved out" appearance to your bridge this is something that can be remedied with a revision procedure.  The revision procedure would address augmenting the bridge with cartilage, most likely taken from the ear or rib.  I prefer the use of diced cartilage and fascia grafts for these situations as they produce the best results.  Good Luck.... Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - nose job

+1

An undesirable outcome after rhinoplasty or nose job surgery can be quite disheartening.  It is still early in your healing process to consider a revision rhinoplasty, but you may want to start doing your research now.  Seek an experienced surgeon who is willing to share before and afters during consultation if not on the web.  

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can nose be revised

+1

At this point it's way to early for you to lose faith in your result and to think about revision. You need to let all the swelling on the rest of the nose resolve and see how you bridge balances with those changes and the rest of your face. Rhinoplasty is not a casual undertaking and you need to stay the course a little. If after 9 months or so it's still not what you like then you can think about adjustment. If your doctor doesn't show before and afters, see if he offers computer morphing. I find this very helpful for communication between patients and myself in getting us both on the same page about desired change in shape, width etc.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Although not all patients give permission to show before and afters, most will be amenable to share their photos in the privacy of a consultation.

As fas as your nose, pictures would be helpful to asses which part of the nose, and to what degree it was thinned out. From your description it sounds like it was the bridge.nasal bones.

The bridge can be augmented to remove the carved out appearance, if the bones were cut too narrow, it is a very hard problem to fix.

I would recommend you consult with an experienced rhinoplasty expert and one who has before and after pictures.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty corrective procedure

+1

Dear LocksOfFluff,

at this point of your healing process it is really to early to undergo any type of revisional surgery. this is not your final result.the final , final result is often no earlier than 1  year postop visible. This is the time you should wait before you plan any corrective revisional surgery.

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon