Will my Nose Return to the Way It Looked After the Cast Was Removed?

I had closed rhinoplasty approx 7 weeks ago. I was thrilled with the way my nose looked when I got my cast off day 7. I noticed the next day my nose was much more swollen or so I thought. Today my nose still looks like it did the day after and the swelling, if it is that, hasn't subsided any. I am wondering if my nose will ever return to the way it looked right after the cast removal? and if so when should I expect to notice changes? (the first photo is from day 7, the other is week 7)

Rhinoplasty after cast is removed

+2

Judging by your photos, you have an excellent result and I am sure you will be delighted with it once the swelling goes down. After the nasal splint is removed, some swelling invariably sets in and then will subside gradually over several months. Eventually your nose should look very similar to the way it did immediately after the splint was removed. With a little patience, I think you will be delighted with your result.

Nasal swelling after cast removal

+1
Immediately after the splint or cast is removed, it is common for the nose to look more defined. After the compression has been removed, the skin and soft tissues can swell and this can take weeks to months to significantly improve. This is normal and many patients experience this.

At 7 weeks following rhinoplasty, you are still early in your recovery and the skin and soft tissues are still very reactive and will swell intermittently. Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. Around the 4-6 week mark, most patients are able to appreciate most of the changes from surgery as a significant amount of swelling has resolved. However, it can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. This will almost always get better and less swollen with time.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Swelling of nose after splint comes off...

+1

Post operative swelling after rhinoplasty can take many months to subside, sometimes even up to a year... You should be having regular follow up visits with your surgeon, and it is appropriate to voice any concerns with him/her. Your surgeon may ask you to tape the nose to reduce swelling or even possibly inject the nose with small amount of steroid to reduce any scar tissue/swelling. From the pictures, the results are good and after a little more time you're going to be thrilled. Best of luck to you!

Terrence Higgins, MD

Post op rhinoplasty appearance

+1

It is hard to tell all from a picture. I think you should return to the plastic surgeon that performed the procedure and let them help you. It may be normal postoperative swelling, it can be scar tissue starting. The surgeon who performed the procedure is the best one to help you. If not improving go back periodically for a reevaluation by the surgeon

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon