Do Nose Reshaping Devices Work? I Am Trying to Correct an Asymmetrical Nose Tip. (photo)

I recently came across a device called Nose Magic that claims to be able to reshape the nose by applying pressure to the cartilage. I am tempted to try it even though it seems to good to be true because I device is relatively inexpensive. Am I risking permanent damage to my nose by using this device? Also, has any doctor actually tried one of these devices before dismissing it as ineffective?

Revision rhinoplasty will probably outperform the “Nose Magic" device.

+1

Dear “Greenman”:

I am not familiar with the “Nose Magic” device.  However, I have certainly seen lots of other devices that purport to change the shape of the nose. Unfortunately, none of them are successful. 

These devices cannot be successful, regardless of the cost, because you are asking a mechanical device to reshape the structures of the nose.  It just cannot happen.  It can’t reshape the nose anymore than waving a magic wand over it can fix a dent in your car.

I doubt that you are risking any permanent damage to your nose, but frankly you are not likely to have any results. 

Based on the photo that you showed me, it is certainly possible for you to have improvement, but it is going to take surgery done by a very experienced, highly specialized nasal surgeon. 

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Nonsurgical Nose Shaping

+1

You have a mild deviation of the nose and a bulbous nasal tip. These cannot be corrected by any compression nasal clip but require a nose operation. I would highly recommend you not waste your money on this device.

Nose Magic - Nose Reshaping Device

+1

HI,

This is most certainly a waist of money.  The cartilage has "memory" and will just go back to its original position unless it is altered surgically.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Good news and bad news for your nose

+1

The bad news is the external clamp devices don't work.  The good news is your nose can definitely be improved either with or without surgery.  You have a moderate concavity on the right side of your nose and some slight irregularity along the dorsum.  Placing some dermafiller in the concavity and along your nasal bridge will make the nose look smoother, stronger, and better.

It helps if you can find someone who specializes in non-surgical rhinoplasty.

Good luck in your search for information.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon