Do You Think my Nose Requires Cosmetic Surgery

It has come to my attention lately that my nose deviates to my right side. It seems to start deviating right where the bone meets the cartilage. I tried to make this more visible in image 3 with the light. My right nostril is also smaller, & is tougher to breath through than my left, which is noticeably bigger. Do you believe that a procedure is required?

Nasal surgery for difficult blocked breathing.

+2

The external bend of your nose strongly suggests you have a structural cause for your obstructive nasal breathing. And if so, you will require surgery if you wish to improve your breathing. Your appearance of the nose can also be altered and improved at the same time.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose requiring cosmetic surgery

+1

The septum in the nose is the dividing line between the left lane and the right lane. When it is off center (deviated), it can cause breathing difficulties. This usually comes from a broken nose. Asymmetric and twisted nasal bones can also cause breathing issues. For breathing purposes a septoplasty is performed out of medical necessity and is billed to the patient’s medical insurance. When there is a cosmetic change on the outside of the nose it is considered a cosmetic rhinoplasty. A cosmetic rhinoplasty addresses any twisted nasal bones, reduction of a dorsal hump, narrowing the bridge, refining and narrowing and straightening the tip, and straightening out the midthird of the nose as well. This can be done through either closed or open rhinoplasty techniques, and have the nasal airway can addressed at the same time.  

Nasal surgery

+1

You never need cosmetic surgery but, if there is a visual problem, that can usually be improved. Also, if you have difficulty breathing, that too can be improved with surgey. I would suggest watching my videos.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Does MY Nose NEED Cosmetic Surgery?

+1

Regarding: "Do You Think my Nose Requires Cosmetic Surgery   It has come to my attention lately that my nose deviates to my right side. It seems to start deviating right where the bone meets the cartilage. I tried to make this more visible in image 3 with the light. My right nostril is also smaller, & is tougher to breath through than my left, which is noticeably bigger. Do you believe that a procedure is required?"

NO.

We REQUIRE oxygen, Carbohydrates, proteins and essential fatty acids to live (and post questions and answers on RealSelf).
We REQUIRE surgery when we have a burst appendix or have cancer.
But, regardless of how far behind you happen to be in line when good looks were being handed out, NO ONE "REQUIRES" Cosmetic Surgery. Cosmetic Surgery is the ultimate "I WANT" Surgery instead of "I NEED" surgery.

If your nose does nor viscerally bother you - PLEASE - leave it alone and don't let anyone whittle on it trying to make it look better. If you have breathing issues and want those corrected, you will need to see a nose surgeon to try and correct internal nose issues.

Unfortunately, if you ask many surgeons hurt by our miserable economy to do what THEY think is best, you will be in the same situation as asking a car dealer what car and what options he would sell you or a contractor what materials and how large a house he would build you.   DON"T do it!

Dr. Peter Aldea

Need for Rhinoplasty

+1

If you want to improve  nasal breathing and correct the deviation surgery will be necessary. Select an experienced nasal surgeon.

Ned for a Rhinoplasty

+1

"Need" for cosmetic surgery doesn't exist.  An appropriate candidate for surgery is a healthy person who presents with a specific complaint that can reasonably addressed with a cosmetic procedure. I would not personally suggest a cosmetic Rhinoplasty in your case.  Your septal deviation could be addressed from a functional standpoint.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Needs and Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Josh

The decision about cosmetic surgery is always a subjective issue that only you can decide. No one "needs" it.  It is purely a matter of whether your desire is constant and persistant.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Need for a nose job

+1

What you are describing is a common problem.... you have a cartilageoous twist and a caudal septal dislocation. In laymans terms... the lower half of your nose ( the cartilage part ) is crooked and the bottom tip is displaced into your nostril. The end result of this is both cosmetic and functional with breathing restriction. You need a combined septorhinoplasty to correct both your appearence and your breathing. The proceedure takes 1 hour is usually done under iv sedation and gets excellent results. Go to aventuraplasticsurgery .com to see examples of patients

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty required?

+1

Required is not a term I would use to describe your  nose.  You  have a proportionate, male nose which is not deformed.  Nobody is perfectly symetrical and overall I would say you are not deformed.  If your nose bothers you then, of course, some elements can be changed.  This is a very subjective decision.  Functional problems with breathing can lead to sinus problems and may be a relative need to do something to improve your nasal air flow.

Wishing you the best,

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Nose Requires Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Thanks for the photos of your nose. Cosmetically I would NOT recommend a surgery. If functionally you have breathing issues than by all means have a surgery to correct.